chapter 81

The next day, when Yuan Li woke up, he didn't see anyone beside him. He instinctively glanced towards the window and noticed that it had been closed. He breathed a sigh of relief and allowed the servants to enter.

Yuan Li had breakfast together with Chu Hechao.

A servant brought a towel soaked in cold water, and Chu Hechao wiped his hands and face with it, feeling refreshed.

There was still some heat emanating from his body, a residual effect of the morning exercise. Even though he had quickly taken a shower, the heat hadn't dissipated.

Surrounded by people, Yuan Li sat obediently in his seat, keeping a respectable distance from Chu Hechao.

Chu Hechao tossed the towel to a servant, glanced at the food in front of him, and quickly looked at Yuan Li before pushing aside the meat soup and saying to the servant, "Bring some vegetarian dishes and fruits. I'll be eating these for the next few days, avoiding meat and fish."

The servant acknowledged and left.

Yuan Li couldn't help but look up at Chu Hechao. When the man saw him looking, his eyebrows moved teasingly, full of mockery.

Yuan Li said, "If you like it, eat it. Don't inconvenience yourself."

The man smirked, "No, it's not an inconvenience."

Yuan Li knew what he was referring to and sighed, remembering what he had said last night. He bowed his head and continued to drink his soup.

Before they finished their meal, Yang Zhongfa came to see them.

The servant brought him in, and upon seeing the two of them eating, he smiled and approached, saying, "Early bird catches the worm, I haven't had my meal yet! General, sir, do you mind one more?"

Chu Hechao jokingly scolded, "If you want to eat, sit down quickly. If not, then get lost."

"Alright, alright, I'm eating."

Yang Zhongfa directly sat down in an empty seat, and a servant placed a dish in front of him. He drank a bowl of soup to fill his stomach before he had a chance to speak.

But when he looked at the dishes on the table, he was surprised. He had intended to say something, but he forgot, "General, why are there only plain soups and light dishes in front of you?"

Wasn't the General fond of rich and meaty food?

Chu Hechao casually replied, "I've been feeling a bit irritated these past few days, so I'm avoiding heavy foods to cool down."

He didn't even glance in Yuan Li's direction.

Yuan Li focused on the food in front of him, not lifting his head or engaging in the conversation.

Yang Zhongfa wasn't as easily fooled as Yuan Dan. This old general appeared rough, but he had a keen sense of perception and was extremely sharp.

They needed to be more cautious.

Yang Zhongfa chuckled, "General, you should cool down. There have been no incidents at the border these past few months, and Youzhou is calm and peaceful. I think you've been bottling up your frustrations."

Chu Hechao was about to speak when Yuan Li was choked by the soup. He bent over, turned his back, and coughed softly.

As soon as Yuan Li coughed a few times, Chu Hechao quickly walked to his side and handed him a handkerchief, patting his back. When his coughing subsided, he handed him a glass of water.

The actions were restrained and subtle, concealing their concern within.

Yuan Li accepted it and politely said, "Thank you, General."