chapter 155

Yuan Li finalized the character "Wen," and from now on, Youzhou and Bingzhou would be known as the "Wen Principality."

Yuan Li finally had his own feudal state.

In the Wen Principality, Yuan Li held the highest authority. He could collect taxes, govern the people and land, and have his own army. His position as Duke Wen could be hereditary, and he could establish the Yuan ancestral temple within his fief and appoint officials to form a small court.

At the same time, he also had certain obligations, such as paying tribute to the Emperor, reporting to the court, and providing military forces when the Emperor needed them for campaigns against rebels.

In other respects, Yuan Li's power was not significantly different from the two wangs, Chen and Chu.

Chen and Chu's fiefs were known as "Kingdoms." Chen's fief was Yangzhou, which was referred to as Chen (Wang) Kingdom, Youzhou as Chu (Wang) Kingdom and Yuan Li's fief would be known as "Duke Wen's Principality."

The difference between "Kingdom" and "Principality" was not significant; the major difference lay in the status of the ruler, which had no impact on Yuan Li.

After selecting the title, Yuan Li also needed to choose the capital of the Wen Principality.

Should he choose Ye County in Jizhou or Jinyang in Bingzhou?

After discussions, Yuan Li decided to establish the capital of the Wen Principality in Ye County, Ji Zhou.

Firstly, Bingzhou was already stable and didn't need him to be stationed there. Secondly, compared to Bingzhou, Ji Zhou was much wealthier, and its geographical location provided better military advantages.

Therefore, Yuan Li designated Ye County in Ji Zhou as the capital, and he started to appoint his subordinates to various official positions. He also brought the system of the Ministry of Government Affairs from the court and replaced the Ministry of Personnel with it to handle state affairs. Additionally, he established a new institution to handle military affairs called the Privy Council.

These two institutions, one for civilian matters and the other for military, were directly under Yuan Li's control and managed all the important affairs of the Wen Principality.

As the capital was in Ji Zhou, Yuan Li needed to move and settle there after becoming Duke Wen. At least he had to fully establish Ji Zhou as his base before returning to Youzhou. Upon hearing this, Chu Hechao simply moved to Ye County in Ji Zhou together with Yuan Li, thinking of it as a change of scenery.

Once they arrived in Ye County, Yuan Li formally dressed in the attire bestowed by the Emperor for Duke Wen and held a grand ceremony to worship the heavens.

The courtiers looked on as Yuan Li gradually ascended to the high position, their excitement causing tears to well up in their eyes. That day, everyone joyously participated in the banquet, drinking and dancing, thoroughly enjoying themselves.

Yuan Li's subordinates were all given the appropriate official titles, and from then on, they became the subjects of the Wen Principality, with each being promoted. This was a significant turning point, and the smiles on everyone's faces didn't fade until the end of the banquet.

During this joyous occasion, Yuan Li was toasted many times by his courtiers, and even with his considerable alcohol tolerance, he became slightly intoxicated.

After everyone had left, his elevated mood had not yet subsided. He grabbed Chu Hechao's hand and wandered around the unfamiliar Governor's Mansion in Youzhou.

The Governor's Mansion, which used to be Wu Shanshi's residence, looked unremarkable from the outside, but inside, it was a realm of its own. It had flowing streams, small bridges amidst bamboo groves, artificial mountains, and elegant flowers. Everything was exquisitely luxurious, possessing the charm of a southern garden.