chapter 95

Cheng Bu remained stooped, not standing up.

His posture was humble, and his words were respectful. There wasn't a single offensive word, but every sentence struck a nerve with Chu Hechao.

Everyone who heard him speak felt a surge of anger from the depths of their hearts, their faces turning ashen.

Li Li was intending to take the initiative and silence them.

Yuan Song had just arrived in Youzhou with his family, and Li Li's rewards followed closely behind. What did this signify? It meant that as soon as Li Li learned of the murders of Chu Wang and the Yuan family's relocation, he immediately thought of this plan. Without hesitation, he ordered the capture of the eunuchs and sent someone with generous rewards to accompany Yuan Song and his group to Youzhou, attempting to silence any rumors.

He wanted to distance himself from the deaths of Chu Wang and his wife. It would be best if Chu Hechao accepted his apology, but even if Chu Hechao didn't, he couldn't shift the blame for the deaths of Chu Wang and his wife onto Li Li.

This was an imperial decree. To disobey it would be to defy the imperial decree. But if they accepted the decree, wouldn't it prove that the deaths of Chu Wang and his consort had nothing to do with Li Li? They felt trapped.

The deaths of Chu Wang and his wife couldn't be avenged with just five eunuchs.

Chu Hechao looked at Cheng Bu with a stern face, slowly gripping the hilt of his large blade at his waist.

Suddenly, Yuan Li reached out and grabbed his wrist, shaking his head in Chu Hechao's view.

He couldn't kill.

Cheng Bu and his group had come here with great fanfare, bringing rewards that stretched for ten miles. They didn't know how many provinces they had passed through or how many people knew that they were heading to Youzhou. If they were killed now, it would be like killing an envoy of the Emperor. Youzhou was far from the Emperor's reach, and if such an incident occurred, everyone would think that there was a rebellion in Youzhou.

At that time, Youzhou would be in the same dangerous situation as Li Li. Perhaps Li Li intentionally provoked Chu Hechao with Cheng Bu's words.

Li Li had already prepared for both possibilities. First, he tested the waters by offering generous gifts. These rewards were both a means to kill the enemy and an attempt to please Chu Hechao.

If Chu Hechao accepted his apology, they could peacefully coexist. If Chu Hechao refused, it would anger him and lead to Chu Hechao attacking Cheng Bu. Once Cheng Bu was killed, Youzhou's situation wouldn't be any better.

Chu Hechao understood what Yuan Li meant. He straightened his lips, gradually releasing his grip on the knife handle, while his other hand clenched into a fist by his side.

Yuan Li asked, "Do you have anything else to say?"

Cheng Bu casually stood up, continuing, "Apart from these rewards, the Emperor is greatly pleased with the death of the Xiongnu leader. As a result, he plans to grant titles and rewards to those who have contributed. I ask all the esteemed individuals to listen to the decree I will announce on behalf of the Emperor."

With that, he produced the imperial decree and read aloud the Emperor's intentions.

Although it was said to be bestowed by the Emperor, it was actually given by Li Li. Li Li spared no expense to pacify Youzhou.

Because Chu Hechao was already a Grand General, the highest rank possible, he was granted ten thousand acres of fertile land, countless gold and jewels. The decree also implied that Chu Hechao could promote and enfeoff his subordinates as he pleased. Regardless of the official position or noble title, as long as Chu Hechao spoke up, Li Li would grant it to him.