chapter 154

Yuan Li declined the title of duke, purely out of traditional courtesy known as the "three refusals and three offers" custom.

After a moment of surprise, his subordinates also calmed down.

Although in troubled times, the concept of propriety and music might be abandoned, if it were someone else, who would refuse the rewards given to them? They would eagerly accept them without hesitation. However, Yuan Li was a renowned scholar, and every move he made would be scrutinized by people all over the world, especially for such a significant event as being enfeoffed as a duke. At this stage, Yuan Li was not in a hurry and didn't want to appear unsightly.

Yuan Li's attitude was too resolute, leaving the envoy with no choice but to hurriedly take the decree and rewards and leave.

After a few days, Chu Hechao finally returned.

Upon hearing of the army's victory and their return to the camp, the people crowded the streets, joyfully welcoming the victorious soldiers.

A man who had suffered from the atrocities of the Wuwan people shouted with a choked voice, "The General is mighty!"

"The soldiers of Youzhou are mighty!"

Various cheers, filled with the people's heartfelt emotions of relief and sorrow, resonated in the air. Many people's eyes became red and filled with complex emotions. Among the excited adults, there were also children watching the soldiers of Youzhou passing by, their eyes gleaming brightly.

In their dark pupils reflected the heroic figures of the Youzhou soldiers.

Under the gaze of the people, the soldiers' expressions became even more serious, their chests puffed up with firm determination.

The leading officers couldn't help but sit up straight. However, when they looked to their left and right, they noticed that most of the people were looking at Chu Hechao.

Not only because Chu Hechao was leading the way and had a handsome appearance, but also because of the shining golden armor he wore under the sunlight.

The subordinates exchanged meaningful glances, feeling that their general looked like a person made of gold.

Chu Hechao was unaware of his subordinates' silent ridicule, as he was in a happy mood. He had a smile on his face, lightly swaying the reins and appearing both elegant and dashing.

Occasionally, when he heard someone excitedly calling out, he would casually glance over, causing the crowd to erupt into another round of cheers and some women to blush and shy away.

Among the crowd on the roadside, Madam Yang stood with her servants, holding her young son's hand.

Her eyes pierced through the crowd, fixed on the Wuwan people who were cowering and bowing their heads in the back of the army.

Chu Hechao had captured twenty thousand Wuwan soldiers as prisoners of war. These prisoners were bound with ropes and dragged along behind the army. Alongside them were ragged refugees closely following the army.

These refugees were all Northern Zhou people who had been captured by the Wuwan as slaves. After Chu Hechao defeated Gulichi, he rescued them from Gulichi's tribe.

The Wuwan people kept their heads down, trembling under the gaze of the common people. A few of them glared back in defiance, only to be spat at by the crowd.

Seeing this scene, Madam Yang sneered, "Serves them right!"

If it weren't for her young son being present, she would have wanted to spit at the Wuwan people herself.