chapter 36

After this show of force, Da Dan became much more obedient. Amidst eating and drinking, he didn't forget to ask Chu Hechao for rewards, but Chu Hechao brushed him off with the excuse of "working for the court and receiving rewards from the court."

Da Dan dared not voice his anger but had a ferocious look as he bit into the meat, as if he wished to crush the bones as well.

However, even though he had accumulated a lot of anger, Da Dan also noticed that there was something different about this meal.

He couldn't pinpoint exactly what was different, but there was a noticeable difference in taste, which was better than what he usually ate.

After the banquet, Da Dan felt somewhat unsatisfied. At that moment, someone brought a small dish of snowy white powder.

Da Dan took a closer look and realized it seemed to be salt, but he wasn't certain. He dipped his chopsticks into it and tasted it, immediately becoming astonished.

His subordinates also tried a bit of the salt and showed expressions of shock after tasting it.

Seeing their naive reactions, Yang Zhongfa couldn't help but mock, "Lord Wuwan, have you never tasted such good salt before?"

Da Dan shook his head with an unpleasant expression on his face.

Yang Zhongfa and the others laughed heartily without any reservation. Even some of the generals who were seeing such delicate and pure white salt for the first time managed to hold back their expressions of surprise to save face.

After the laughter died down, Yang Zhongfa clapped his hands twice. Soldiers brought a cart full of salt and stopped it by the banquet.

With a tone that implied "you're getting lucky," Yang Zhongfa said, "Recently, we obtained a batch of extremely high-quality fine salt. Originally, we planned to keep it for ourselves. However, considering your contribution in helping us pacify Pan County and Xia Luo County, we decided to share a portion of it with you for a taste."

Da Dan's eyes lit up, and he stood up, walking to the cart and using a dagger to cut open one of the sacks, revealing the white fine salt.

Although there were still some yellowish coarse salt among these fine salt grains, the quality was truly the best Da Dan had ever seen, and the bitterness was almost non-existent. Da Dan's heart was enticed, and he chuckled greedily, saying, "So, Lord Yang intends to give all this salt to me?"

Yang Zhongfa sneered, "Lord Wuwan, you're overthinking. Naturally, we are offering this salt to you for trade."

Before Da Dan could inquire further, Yang Zhongfa stated the price for one liter of salt, which was several times higher than the normal salt price. As soon as the price was mentioned, Da Dan's expression changed, and he gritted his teeth, saying, "This price is outrageously expensive!"

"Buy it or not, I don't care," Yang Zhongfa couldn't be bothered and turned to Yuan Li sighing, "I didn't expect Lord Wuwan of Shanggu County to be unable to afford even this little thing. If he doesn't have the money to buy, then we have no intention to sell! This salt is limited in quantity, and the more we sell, the less we have. It's salt that not even Gulichi has tasted. Why should Lord Wuwan of Shanggu County have the privilege to taste it first?"

Not even the leader, Gulichi, has tasted it.

Da Dan struggled to contain his anger, and his inner resolve began to waver.

Yuan Li chuckled softly, speaking in a gentle tone that was laced with contempt, almost piercing Da Dan's face, "Wuwan people are only deserving of consuming inferior coarse salt."