chapter 48

After being full and satisfied, Yuan Li asked, "General, how do you find the taste of potatoes?"

"Not bad," Chu Hechao nodded approvingly. "The texture is unique and soft, and it does provide a satisfying feeling of fullness."

Yuan Li raised an eyebrow, curious as to why Chu Hechao appeared so calm despite the goodness of potatoes. Then it hit him suddenly—he hadn't mentioned the high yield of potatoes as a crop. Chu Hechao probably wasn't aware of the potential of potatoes.

Yuan Li, with mischief in his eyes, stared at Chu Hechao's actions, waiting specifically for the moment when Chu Hechao stood up. Just then, he said, "Potatoes are a high-yield crop that can serve as both staple food and vegetable. As far as I know, its yield per acre can be three to five times that of millet. Potatoes also mature quickly, with a harvest time of only three to four months."

With a loud "thud," Chu Hechao accidentally tripped over his chair. Disheveled, he regained his balance and looked at Yuan Li in disbelief. "Are you telling the truth?"

Yuan Li nodded affirmatively.

In the Northern Zhou Dynasty, the main grains cultivated were rice, millet, foxtail millet, wheat, and beans, with a yield of less than 250 catties per acre. In the future, potatoes generally yielded more than 2000 catties per acre. However, Yuan Li was uncertain whether potatoes could achieve such a high yield in ancient times, so he cautiously halved the yield before informing Chu Hechao.

Even with the reduced yield, it was enough to stir up a storm of astonishment in Chu Hechao's heart.

His breathing became heavy, and his gaze at the potatoes burned with intense heat. "Would this box of potatoes be enough for an acre of land?"

Yuan Li bluntly said, "Absolutely not enough, at most it would be enough for one-third of an acre."

Chu Hechao immediately responded, "I will send someone to Liaoxi County to search for potatoes."

Chu Hechao, like Yuan Li, understood the importance of food, especially in times of turmoil. Food was the backbone of the army and determined the size of the military force. Having a crop that yielded three to five times more per acre meant that the food supply in Youzhou could exceed the total of two or three other provinces!

There was no time to waste. The two of them left the kitchen. Chu Hechao went to find his trusted aides, while Yuan Li went to study how to handle these potatoes.

Yuan Li didn't hold much hope for Chu Hechao's chances of finding more potatoes, considering that potatoes originated from South America. He was more inclined to explore the possibility of greenhouse cultivation, allowing for a greater yield of potatoes in winter and facilitating spring planting.

At the very least, they needed enough potato seeds for an acre of land.

In the following days, Yuan Li immersed himself in the study of potatoes.

Potatoes were cold-resistant and had strong adaptability, being able to survive in all types of soil except saline-alkali land. The planting seasons were generally spring and autumn. However, even though they were cold-resistant, potatoes still required an environment above freezing for sprouting to occur.

Yuan Li had a square and airtight building constructed as an experimental base, and he had a small kang bed set up in the middle of the base to ensure that the temperature could be maintained above freezing during winter.

Due to concerns about the cold winter in Youzhou, Yuan Li also had the beds in Chu Hechao's mansion transformed into kang beds*. During the process, he asked Chu Hechao if he wanted his bed to be transformed as well.
* heatable brick bed