chapter 25

But despite the fatigue of treating the wounded, the sense of accomplishment they brought was indescribable in words.

They were exhausted, but the final results were significant. More and more veterans returned to the battlefield after recovering from their injuries, greatly reducing the soldiers' mortality rate.

The soldiers were grateful to Yuan Li, and upon returning to the battlefield, they shared the stories of the medical camp with others. Unbeknownst to Yuan Li, his reputation had already begun to spread among the soldiers on a small scale.

One evening, Yang Zhongfa, out of curiosity, arrived at the medical camp, looking to see the wounded soldiers.

The soldier standing guard in front of the medical camp pointed to a nearby basin of water and said, "Sir, Young Master Yuan instructed that anyone entering or leaving the medical camp must wash their hands."

Yang Zhongfa exclaimed, "Oh, there's such a rule? Quite particular!"

He squatted down and washed his hands using the water in the basin. He noticed a plain soap next to the basin, devoid of any carvings, and turned his head in surprise to ask the soldier, "Did Young Master Yuan place this soap here as well?"

The soldier nodded earnestly and said, "Young Master Yuan said that washing hands with soap makes them cleaner."

Yang Zhongfa looked pained and asked, "Since the soap was provided, have more people been coming here to wash their hands?"

The soldier nodded again.

Ever since Young Master Yuan placed a bar of soap here, everyone who entered or exited didn't need reminding from the soldiers. They happily approached the basin to wash their hands, often washing them multiple times. Even among the medical personnel, several of them pretended to have errands outside and intentionally made multiple trips in and out.

If it weren't for the soldiers keeping an eye on things, some people would have tried to take the soap directly.

Yang Zhongfa carefully lathered his palms with the soap.

He also had a set of soap given to him by Yuan Li. Although Yuan Li said it wasn't worth much and he could ask for more when he ran out, Yang Zhongfa cherished it greatly. After returning to Youzhou, he gave all three bars of soap to his wife, keeping one for himself to wash his face morning and evening. Every time he used the soap, he felt refreshed, and the water in the basin turned black.

He washed his hands several more times before standing up and entering the medical camp.

Upon entering, Yang Zhongfa instinctively held his breath, preparing for the onslaught of stench. He had been to the medical camp many times before, and due to the large number of wounded soldiers, it was often a mix of various dirt and filth, with the smell of blood mingling with the odor of excrement and urine. There was no clean place to step on, and it was even more nauseating than the battlefield.

But to Yang Zhongfa's surprise, when he entered the medical camp this time, he was greeted with cleanliness and tidiness. The ground was compacted and smooth, and the floor was dry without any bloodstains or other dirt. Neatly arranged old bedding lay on the ground, and the wounded soldiers were resting on the bedding.

Yang Zhongfa was stunned. He tentatively released his breath and only smelled the strong aroma of medicinal herbs and the scent of blood. The nauseating smell that used to make it difficult to breathe had disappeared.

Is this... still the medical camp?

A medic noticed his dazed expression and quickly walked over, asking, "Sir, have you been injured?"