chapter 62

Chu Heichao sent Yang Zhongfa and He Lang to search for two months within Youzhou, looking for many local scholars, and finally selected the most suitable one among them.

Cui Xuan, styled Cheng, was a native of Changping County in Guangyang Commandery, Youzhou. He was already 67 years old. He was the son-in-law of the famous general Guan Yi and had gained fame at a young age. He had repeatedly declined the court's recruitment but had achieved great renown in Youzhou. Later, due to offending eunuchs, he was exiled. His friends and students continuously pleaded for him, and eventually, his charges were dropped during the journey of exile. Since then, Cui Xuan had never entered the court again, dedicating himself solely to writing books and teaching.

Cui Xuan was highly renowned and could be considered the teacher of many contemporary scholars, an eminent figure among the scholars.

It's worth mentioning that Yuan Li's teacher, Ouyang Ting, also received guidance from Cui Xuan.

Upon learning that Chu Hechao was taking him to visit Cui Xuan, Yuan Li was startled. They were riding horses towards Changping County, and on the way, Yuan Li drove his horse alongside Chu Hechao and asked, "General, why are you taking me to meet Cui Xuan?"

Chu Hechao replied, "What did you say?"

The wind was too strong while riding, and it was unclear whether he genuinely didn't hear or didn't want to answer. Yuan Li cleared his throat and raised his voice, "I'm asking why you're taking me to meet Cui Xuan."

Chu Hechao looked ahead and finally answered, "On the day of your coming-of-age ceremony, you need a great scholar to bestow you a courtesy name."

If Yuan Li could have Cui Xuan bestow him a courtesy name, his fame would spread throughout Youzhou and the neighboring Yizhou and Bingzhou.

Even without the support of Cui Xuan, Yuan Li had already gained a considerable reputation in the surrounding provinces.

Especially after he helped Chu Hechao slay the Xiongnu leader and continuously dispatched troops to suppress bandits within Youzhou, his prestige grew rapidly.

However, the fame that Cui Xuan could bring to Yuan Li was different from the reputation Yuan Li had accumulated himself. Cui Xuan's influence was targeted at the scholar class and could spread Yuan Li's reputation more widely.

When Yuan Li didn't have his father and senior teachers by his side, having a local great scholar like Cui Xuan to preside over his coming-of-age ceremony would be beneficial for his future path.

Yuan Li blinked and exclaimed in surprise, "Have you been busy with this for the past two months?"

"You're overthinking," Chu Hechao smirked, his face displaying a rugged contour. He casually replied, "Is this little matter worth me being busy for two months? It was just something I did on the side."

After speaking, he suddenly increased his speed and surpassed Yuan Li.

Yuan Li turned his face to avoid the mud and sand kicked up by the horse's hooves. The urge to compete and strive for victory surged within him. He raised his whip and accelerated, catching up to Chu Hechao. In the same casual tone as Chu Hechao, he said, "Since General did it on the side, there's no need for me to thank you too much. After all, it's just a small matter."

After speaking, Yuan Li politely smiled at Chu Hechao, tightened his legs around the horse's belly, and overtook Chu Hechao.

Chu Hechao tightened his grip on the reins and squinted at Yuan Li's figure. After a moment, he turned his eyes away, his lips pressed firmly. Suddenly, he raised his whip, intending to ride ahead of Yuan Li.