chapter 26

Yuan Li's simple words caused a great shock to Chu Hechao.

Chu Hechao's gaze burned intensely, his hands clenched tightly, and he remained silent for a long time. Yuan Li rubbed his nose under his gaze and asked, "General?"

Chu Hechao suddenly stood up and strode over to Yuan Li. Something was fluctuating in his eyes, and he finally spoke in a low voice, "Sister-in-law, there will be many disabled soldiers in the army."

"I know," Yuan Li replied.

After a pause, he continued, "I can make proper arrangements for the future of the disabled soldiers. If we plan to cleanse Youzhou, we can assign the soldiers with less severe injuries to supervise the local counties and understand the situation of the people. This will ensure the stability of Youzhou, establish our own government's credibility, and win the hearts of the people. It will not only benefit our control of Youzhou but also benefit your army greatly, bringing stability and gratitude to the soldiers."

As soon as he finished speaking, Chu Hechao decisively said, "I agree."

Afterward, Chu Hechao took a deep breath and suddenly bowed to Yuan Li, saying, "Sister-in-law, thank you."

Yuan Li smiled faintly, and after discussing the matter, he became polite and distant again. "General, please don't dislike my interference."

Having said that, he nodded slightly to Chu Hechao and walked out of the tent.

Before he could step out of the tent, he heard hurried footsteps behind him. Chu Hechao suddenly grabbed Yuan Li's arm.

Yuan Li heard him say in a rigid tone, "Sister-in-law, I was wrong."

"I was in the wrong about this," Chu Hechao held Yuan Li's arm tightly, his hand even circling around his forearm, burning like intense fire. "Sister-in-law, I need you to stay in Youzhou and be in charge for me."

Yuan Li remained silent.

Chu Hechao exerted some force, causing Yuan Li to slightly turn sideways. Chu Hechao looked at the disheveled strands of hair at Yuan Li's temples and his tightly pursed lips. His tone suddenly softened, carrying a sense of apology. "Sister-in-law, you have been distant from me this month, and I have also thought a lot. This younger brother is impulsive, so please forgive me."

Every word he spoke was sincere, clearly conveying his intention: he still wanted to continue working with Yuan Li.

Yuan Li turned to look at him, then glanced at the hand that was circling his forearm. In the instant their gazes met, Chu Hechao immediately let go and bowed in apology, displaying the appearance of a humble subordinate. "Please forgive me, sister-in-law, and be magnanimous."

Yuan Li remained silent for a moment and whispered, "This is your territory, General, Youzhou. The things I brought with me are just some possessions, three hundred followers, a few craftsmen, and their families. General, we can negotiate this time, but what will you do if there is a next time?"

Certain matters needed to be discussed before cooperation.

Chu Hechao stood up straight and said with preparedness, "Please raise your hand, sister-in-law."

Yuan Li was confused but extended his hand nonetheless. Chu Hechao took something from his waist and placed it in Yuan Li's hand.

It was a palm-sized seal, and Yuan Li realized what it was, causing his heartbeat to quicken slightly. He turned the seal over and faced the inscription on top, illuminated by the light coming in from outside the tent.

On top were six small seal characters: Seal of the Youzhou Governor.

This was actually the seal of the governor, the seal that could govern the entire Youzhou!