10~

The show was still on, and Grace was feeling better than she had in ages. Just hearing familiar voices made her feel like everything was alright.

"And our usual update on those friends of Harry Potter's who are suffering for their allegiance?" Lee asked.

"Well, as regular listeners will know, several of the more outspoken supporters of Harry Potter have now been imprisoned, including Xenophilius Lovegood, erstwhile editor of The Quibbler," said Remus.

"At least he's still alive!" muttered Ron.

"We have also heard within the last few hours that Rubeus Hagrid" -all four of them gasped- "well-known gamekeeper at Hogwarts School, has narrowly escaped arrest within the grounds of Hogwarts, where he is rumored to have hosted a 'Support Harry Potter' party in his house. However, Hagrid was not taken into custody, and is, we believe, on the run."

"I suppose it helps, when escaping from Death Eaters, if you've got a sixteen-foot-high half brother?" asked Lee.

"It would tend to give you an edge," agreed Remus gravely. "May I just add that while we here at Potterwatch applaud Hagrid's spirit, we would urge even the most devoted of Harry's supporters against following Hagrid's lead. 'Support Harry Potter' parties are unwise in the present climate."

"Indeed they are, Romulus," said Lee, "so we suggest that you continue to show your devotion to the man with the lightning scar by listening to Potterwatch! And now let's move to news concerning the wizard who is proving just as elusive as Harry Potter. We like to refer to him as the Chief Death Eater, and here to give his views on some of the more insane rumors circulating about him, I'd like to introduce a new correspondent. Rodent?"

"'Rodent'?" Said a familiar voice apprehensively.

"Fred!" Grace exclaimed.

"I'm not being 'Rodent,' no way, I told you I wanted to be 'Rapier'!"

"Oh, all right then, 'Rapier,'" Lee said mockinly. "In a moment, could you please give us your take on the various stories we've been hearing about the Chief Death Eater? But right now, do we have any messages for missing people?"

"We do, actually, one for Grace Weas- I mean Grace Jordan, From her husband. We got confirmation of her survival a few weeks ago. Would you like to read it, River? I know you enjoy delivering these."

Grace held her breath.

She was relieved that Sirius had gotten there safely. On one hand, she desperately wanted Lee to read the letter to her. On the other, if he got emotional, what if they found out who he was?

"Yes, Rapier. I would. Thank you for offering." He took a shaky breath. "Sorry folks, it's always difficult to deliver these messages."

There was some shuffling in the background but then he started speaking again, reading from the note.

"Grace, my love, I miss you beyond words. Please know that I'm not mad at you and I'm so, so proud of what you're doing. Stay safe, stay strong. I love you so much."

His voice cracked and Grace heard muffled voices in the background. She wiped her eyes and walked over to her bunk, pulling her bonded necklace from Lee out. She had been scared to give him a sign of life since if she wore it all the time it could also be a sign if she died. But now she put it on and pressed it, hoping he noticed his light up.

"So, people." Fred was saying when she walked back over. "Let's try and calm down a bit. Things are bad enough without inventing stuff as well. For instance, this new idea that You-Know-Who can kill people with a single glance from his eyes. That's a basilisk, listeners. One simple test: Check whether the thing that's glaring at you has got legs. If it has, it's safe to look into its eyes, although if it really is You-Know-Who, that's still likely to be the last thing you ever do."

Grace let out a giggle.

"And the rumors that he keeps being sighted abroad?" asked Lee.

"Well, who wouldn't want a nice little holiday after all the hard work he's been putting in?" asked Fred. "Point is, people, don't get lulled into a false sense of security, thinking he's out of the country. Maybe he is, maybe he isn't, but the fact remains he can move faster than Severus Snape confronted with shampoo when he wants to, so don't count on him being a long way away if you're planning to take any risks. I never thought I'd hear myself say it, but safety first!"

"Thank you very much for those wise words, Rapier," said Lee, his voice stronger. "Listeners, that brings us to the end of another Potterwatch. We don't know when it will be possible to broadcast again, but you can be sure we shall be back. Keep twiddling those dials: The next password will be 'Mad-Eye.' Keep each other safe: Keep faith. Good night."

The radio's dial twirled and the lights behind the tuning panel went out. Harry, Ron, Grace and Hermione were still smiling. Hearing familiar, friendly voices was an extraordinary tonic; Harry had become so used to their isolation he had nearly forgotten that other people were resisting Voldemort. It was like waking from a long sleep.

"Good, eh?" said Ron happily.

"Brilliant," said Harry.

"It's so brave of them," sighed Hermione admiringly. "If they were found ..."

"Well, they keep on the move, don't they?" said Ron. "Like us."

"But did you hear what Fred said?" asked Harry excitedly. "He's abroad! He's still looking for the Wand, I knew it!"

"Harry-"

"Come on, Hermione, why are you so determined not to admit it? Vol-"

"HARRY, NO!" Grace shouted.

"-demort's after the Elder Wand!"

"The name's Taboo!" Ron bellowed, leaping to his feet as a loud crack sounded outside the tent. "I told you, Harry, I told you, we can't say it anymore- we've got to put the protection back around us- quickly- it's how they find-"

But Ron stopped talking, The Sneakoscope on the table lit up and begun to spin, they could hear voices coming nearer and nearer. Excited voices. Ron pulled the Deluminator out of his pocket and clicked it, their lamps went out.

"Come out of there with your hands up!" came a voice through the darkness. "We know you're in there! You've got half a dozen wands pointing at you and we don't care who we curse!"