Chapter 3~ First Night

Grace clutched the stair railing as it moved yet again. She wondered if she would ever get used to it. She supposed there must be some kind of formula since the three older boys seemed to know exactly when to step off and brace themselves. Lee and the twins were discussing what to show her and pranks for the year.

"Quirrell is going to be a fun one Fred was saying as the stairs stopped again, Grace went to step on the next staircase when it shot out from under her foot and she fell, her hands reached to grab something. George let out a startled shout and tried to grab her, he missed. Grace barely grabbed the top of the stairs, her body dangled and she let out a small shriek.

"Gigi, hold on!" George grabbed her hands, but he didn't have to, Grace felt her body buzz and almost immediately found herself on stairs above the boys. The steps seemed to be frozen.

"Where did she go?" Lee yelled

"Why should I know?" George shouted back, "Grace!"

"Gracie!" Fred yelled, his voice panicky, "Grace, answer me! Do something!"

Grace tried. She did, to do some kind of word. When she couldn't, she started running down towards them. Luckily, the stairs weren't moving and she was almost to them when Fred spotted her and let out a yelp. He rushed to her and hugged her close. George and Lee were there in seconds, wrapping their arms around both of them. When all the boys had calmed down Lee's voice cut through the air.

"What the bloody hell just happened? Where did you go?" There was a sharp edge to his voice from being scared, but that's not what Grace heard.

*Flashback*

"Where did you go? Where were you?" Dave sat in a chair holding a empty beer in one hand, and four year old Grace's arm in another.

"I was just outside papa. Let me go! You're hurting me!" The grip simply got tighter.

"Bull shit. You're not hurting yet. Where were you?!"

"Just outside papa please..." Kat rushed in. "Mama."

"Dave. Leave her alone! She was out helping me with the garden."

"That's a lie and you know it woman. You were running. I see it in your eyes! You let the wolf out. What did I say about that wolf in you? You didn't listen did you? You'll listen now.." He pulled out his wand..

*End of flashback*

"Grace, can you hear me? It's alright. You're safe. Look at me! Safe."

Grace felt her conscious snap back to reality at Fred's voice. She was sitting on the ground, the stairs still weren't moving. Her face was wet again. Lee was standing a little away looking pale. George was kneeling at her other side.

"I'm so sorry. I didn't realize.. What happened?"

George looked up at him. "Later. I'll explain. Gigi? Are you okay?" Grace nodded, she was still shaking but she was alright now. Why now? This hadn't happened in so long.. Fred spoke up.

"Do you know what happened? With the stairs?"

Grace shook her head,

"I just slipped and fell. And then I had a buzzy feeling, like when we aparate. And I was up there. It was like when.." She stopped. She didn't want to think about that, Fred didn't pry, it might trigger another panic.

"Okay. Listen, on the stairs, you count to five before stepping to make sure it doesn't do that, alright?"

"I'm sorry."