Chapter 24 - Kai

Kai

I watched her sleep all night. Partly to make sure she didn't fucking bolt. She was guilty I loved her. I knew she was. But I didn't care. I would have begged her all night to stay if I had to. The panic at her wanting to leave still gnawed at me.

She was tired and done. Thinking of last night made the bile rise to my throat. I couldn't stop the images of her having to do anything she had said she had to. I wanted to bury that town in a crater and hoped it never re-surfaced. Fuck whatever suburban town this was.

She looked too small and fragile in my clothes it didn't help that she slept like a baby, hands folded under her chin. She reached out wrapping her arm around me, her breathing went back to being even. I pulled her in closer and held her tighter, she hummed, face at my neck. I sighed.

If Owen didn't know, if Mel hadn't told him... They were about to have the rudest awakening. I guessed this was the case, because he seemed very fond of her and I couldn't imagine him knowing and not doing anything about it. Hell, I might even be the reason for ending their marriage. I couldn't even care right now. This shit couldn't go unanswered. I know this was her story to tell but she wouldn't tell them, I knew she wouldn't or couldn't. She'd had years to tell someone but she hadn't. She just kept it to herself and broke apart every fucking day. So, I'd do it for her.

She was trying so hard to have a normal life, while those, those people prayed on young innocent kids. I Was pissed off about the Ex, breaking his nose wasn't enough for the shit he had done to her. The thought of his hands on her after everything. Fuck.

My phone was on silent, it buzzed, it was Owen, letting me know he had to leave by 9:30. Fine. That was plenty of time to ream them both out. It was 7 now.

I had another text from mum begging me to be at the board meeting today. Fuck. I texted back. I said I'd let you know. What time is it? She replied at 12. I said ok I'll figure it out. I didn't think I could leave her here alone. Not when she was like this. Maybe I could video call in. I texted Rosa to ask for the house to be tidied up. She said she would take care of it. I told her Ella would be here. She seemed shocked, because her text read "In the house?" I replied yes, she's moving in today. She sent me back a smiley face and a heart. I wanted to smile.

We should head out but she looked so deeply asleep, I knew she was tired, last night had to be exhausting. It hadn't helped that I lost my shit. She still hadn't reacted to it at all. I kissed her head. And I knew today was going to be another hard day for her. She just couldn't catch a fucking break. And I felt like shit about her having to relive it again. But this was a fucking crime. All I needed for her was to stay away from them, and I needed Owen to look into this shit. Even if meant her testifying. They wouldn't of course show her face. But she had to.

I knew she'd do it because she wouldn't want this happening to anyone else. I could also just let it go, part of me wanted to so badly. I wanted to forget about it and let her get on with her life with me. But I had seen it, the pain, the anguish, the guilt, and shame; and I just couldn't, I couldn't fucking let it go.

I kissed her face and jaw, she hummed. "Ella, it's time to wake up, my love." I said softly in her ear. Tucking her hair back. She groaned.

"I know you're tired, we can come back and you can sleep in all day, ok? Wake up, Baby. I'll put on some coffee for you." I made to get out of bed. She grabbed my hand.

"Today is going to be the worst." She grimaced. I wanted to laugh at the understatement. "I know, but after today it's done. Ok? You will never ever have to see a fucking suburb your whole life, I'll make sure of it."

"Kai, I'm so tired."

"I know, but we have to do this, you have to be your own person now, it's time baby you can't let this shadow hover over you forever." She nodded, sleep in her eyes. She shoved off the bed and kissed me. I returned it.