Chapter 80 - Ella/Kai

Ella

August passed pretty fast, we had a low-key birthday for me, because I didn't want to do anything big, I had begged Kai to not make a big deal, he wasn't happy, I was not surprised. They had packed up Owen's grill and brought it over for a bbq and just drinks at home out back.

We laughed at the spicy wings, Kai had learned his lesson but the boys placed all kinds of bets on who'd go though them without tears. I won every time. It might have been low key but I'd had a great time. Kai had bought me a full grand piano for the new house for my birthday. He'd been back to Norway to check in on the house, I said it just wasn't worth the hassle of traveling with me and I would see it when we finally moved, I couldn't do an airport if I could avoid it.. I was fine at home going to school. I had given his suggestion about taking up music some serious thought, but I didn't have to think about it now. I had time. Rob had gone with him to sort out his apartment.

But, I did make a two-week trip with them and Smith to Paris for their office work. I guess it did help to have someone speak the language. I was still a wreck, but he didn't care and carried me everywhere.

My paper work was finally sorted, I was officially Stella Walker now, I had the middle name removed as well. It felt surreal. He had joked saying I couldn't have second thoughts now and we were stuck together for life. I knew he was secretly happy about it.

Kai was off last night to sort his mum's move. He asked me a million times if I would be fine, I said I was and it wasn't the first time I was alone. He texted and called all the time. I told him he was being nuts. Rob, Brig and I would be sorting out Mare today, she officially got out of hospital today. Her apartment was ready. I'd sorted out furniture showing her catalogues and she picked what she wanted.

It was 4 in the evening and the boys were going to be in at 5. I went and sorted out her paper work at billing which had taken almost an hour and finally walked to her room.

There was a duty nurse in there with her, probably helping Mare remove all her med tubes. I opened the door, smiling and asking is everything was ok and I froze for a minute trying to process what i was seeing and had a heart attack. He was trying to suffocate her with a pillow, I screamed for help and ran to pull him off her, she was trashing underneath and panic flooded me, I screamed for help louder. Everything happened too fast. He turned and smacked me on the head with the stand next to her bed. I saw two of everything, Mare was panting, coughing and trying to breathe. 

I screamed at her to get under the bed. She rolled over and hid underneath, she still couldn't scream. I still tried to pull him away and he banged my head into the metal bed railing, in a blink he pulled out a gun, it was under his arm pit, it made no sound and he shot me. Twice. I was in such a daze. I couldn't see, there was blood in my eyes and I could feel the warm blood pouring down my head into my ears, I felt a shooting piercing pain in my shoulder and abdomen. Mare shouted my name as loud as she could, but he just turned and walked away.

I could hear a commotion, but I was so confused. I had been shot. My only thought was Kai was going to be so mad and wreck shit if I died. Oh god, I'd just married him a month ago, I couldn't leave him now. It wasn't enough time. We hadn't had enough time. I couldn't leave him. He would be devastated. I was staring at the ceiling; Mare's face hovered above me, I tried to blink the blood out of my eyes. When had I fallen down? She was calling my name in a panic but I couldn't respond.

And suddenly there was Rob, I grabbed his shirt. making a tight fist on it. I could see Rob's face, he shoved Mare aside, yelling at her to get help, cursing, calling me, "Lala, look at me, keep your eyes open, darling. Brig fucking call Kai now!!! Mare get help!!!" He sounded panicked.