Chapter 48 - Kai

Kai

Fuck! I was not ready for this; how did she find out? Had she gone to the police? Had she hired an investigator? Fuck. Ella would break if my mum threw shit at her, not after everything. This was too much. Test the waters.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"I mean her father was into some very shady business dealings."

"Like what?"

"Like conning his colleagues and friends into investing into schemes and then robbing them."

"Alright, but he's dead. What does this have to do with her?"

"Kai!!! Are you really so blinded by her? This is why she is here, with you. Not because she loves you or cares for you but because she is just like him."

"And how would you know that?" She looked at me shocked. I was beginning to lose my temper now. She knew nothing about Ella. How did someone just assume shit like this based on the shit her dad had done? By that account, I should be a rapist and a fucking pedophile! Rosa came out with coffee for me and Tea for my mum, with snacks.

"Thank you, Rosa." She simply nodded. She put a hand on my shoulder and gave it a squeeze. I patted her hand. "I'm OK, thank you."

She left. I knew she meant she was here if I needed anything. She left the door open.

"Kai, please listen to me, she is part of a police investigation. Something is very off here."

"How do you know that?"

"I called Captain Michaels. And he said he couldn't share any information on her because she was part of an ongoing investigation. This is as much as I was able to dig upon her."

"Dig up? Why are you trying to dig up anything on her to begin with? Just leave her alone, please. How many times do I have to tell you?"

"Kai, for heave's sake!!! You are acting like a naive child. You are not everyone. You're not some regular Joe. You need to know who you're with. You should know these things about the people around you and close to you. And a police investigation is not a good thing. They could be investigating her for fraud or God knows what?" What the fuck was she on about? I was done.

"Is that all?"

"Yes, but what do you mean is that all. She will ruin your hard-earned reputation, Kai."

"What fucking reputation?!!! All anyone knows about me is that I'm an asshole!!! What the fuck do people really know about me? Aside from work? Why are you so hell bend on shoving this shit down my throat when you know I couldn't fucking care less." I shouted. I needed to calm down.She said nothing just looking at me shocked again.

"And I know she's part of an investigation, she's told me. I told you; I know everything there is to know about her. She hasn't lied or hidden anything from me. Rob knows too." I just shook my head, partly in relief, she didn't know about the other stuff and I was thanking my lucky stars. I would have to have a word with Owen. I didn't think he would be pleased to know his captain was giving out information on Ella to the public. This was bullshit. When would it stop. The fucking hits just kept coming.

"Mum, I am ill. I need to rest, so, if that's all you have to say to me, I would like to go back to bed now and ask you to leave."

"Kai, I'm sorry. I know you are recovering, but you have made all these mistakes that need correcting." She sounded reasonable. Which was nuts. She was talking like a crazy person.

"What fucking mistakes? What the hell are you on about?" I was losing it. I couldn't keep calm. Where were they? Fuck. She normally drove like mad if she knew I needed her.