Chapter 71 - Ella/Kai

Ella

"Kai, ok?" Michelle asked, I nodded, putting away my phone. "Yeah sorry, he's ok. A bit stressed. I haven't gone out without him in months."

"I totally get it, I'd be stressed if I had a girlfriend that looked like you." I laughed. She shook her head. "The pieces are really incredible, Stella." she said. I nodded. "I know. I just can't look at them." I said back.

She nodded. "Yeah, I get it. I would be a bit overwhelmed to see myself from the perspective of someone else. But to be fair, it's not super obvious."

"Oh, I'm counting on that." I said, she laughed. I turned to Evans.

"Evans, thank you for doing this." I said, he waved me off. "No trouble at all, Stella."

"Doing what?" Michelle asked, "Oh, right, Evans will be joining us."

"No ma'am, I'll just be in the corner, just keeping an eye out." he said, "I'm sure we won't mind." I said.

"No, I insist, Stella. I'll be fine. I get to charge the company so pick a fancy restaurant." he said, Michelle and I both cracked up. He smiled; his face crinkled under his greying beard.

"I hope Kai is sorting you out for baby sitting duty?" I asked, he nodded smiling, "Yes, we've talked." I nodded feeling better about him being there. "OK."

"But thank you again."

"You're most welcome." he said.

Michelle had input the address on the gps. It was a fancy speak easy, I was loving this vibe, I told her that. She nodded. "I know, right? I'd heard about it a lot and thought you'd love this place."

It was a bit loud but I was ok, Evans was in a corner true to his word. I felt terrible for making him sit on his own but he just sat there looking at everyone and occasionally checking his phone. I asked Michelle if she wanted to bet that was Kai texting him, she said no bet, because even she knew who it was. We laughed.

"This place is great for it's cocktails." she said I nodded looking at the menu, we decided to sit at the bar. We chatted and it was great. I knew she wanted to ask. She'd wanted to since we left the house. I think maybe that's what had also upset Kai. He suddenly realised we weren't the only people looking at his work. And I didn't really care, it was weird because they were all me. And all of me. I truly was flattered. But he was unsure now, cuz he was just a bit possessive of my shit. And he wouldn't want anyone knowing anything about me or have me deal with questions from anyone.

"You wanna ask me." I said, she nodded. "Kinda yes, but I don't want to upset or offend you either." she looked awkward. I shook my head, "No it's fine."

"I lost my whole family in a house fire, last year." Michelle was covering her mouth in shock. "Everyone but my twin, and she's in hospital recovering, she's much better now. So yeah, I have good days and bad ones. Like you see in Kai's work."

"Oh god, Stella, I am so sorry. Shit. I'm sorry for asking. I shouldn't have brought it up."

"I'm ok. Don't worry about it, I'm dealing. It's why Kai gets stressed, cuz I have panic attacks and shit."

"Oh my god. How are you coping?" I shrugged. "It's all him and Rob and friends from school..." I said. She nodded. "I'm sorry, Stella. 

"Don't worry about it. I'm ok. Kai is more stressed about it than I am." I smiled. She laughed.

"Yeah, madly in love is an understatement for the two of you. He really does love you." I smiled. "I know."

"Soooo, are you going to make me ask?" I said. She laughed. "Yes fine, we've been on two dates."