Chapter 43 - Ella/Kai

Ella

I was so tired. I felt like I could sleep for a whole week, it had taken me forever to sort out the rooms and then go to Home Depot and sort out a ramp for him. Because he wouldn't be able to get from the yard to the studio without help, the terrain was up and down.

I also changed the damn garden furniture. Because even though we were meant to do it together, I thought if he had to sit there, and keep looking at it, it would piss him off even more. I called Rob and asked if he could be there while they installed the stuff, he said he was on it. I gave him the new key code. I wasn't sure if they'd be done installing it by the time we got home. I should have thought of all of this before. Damn it.

I could only imagine what he was going through. Being stuck in a wheelchair would irritate the shit out of him. So, I had to search for a place that rented them out. I rented the basic automatic kind. I could see him getting frustrated if he had to wheel himself around and I didn't think he'd want to be wheeled around by me or Rosa.

Renting that and taking it home also took me a fair bit of time, because I didn't know what to get and I was being indecisive as fuck. It was past 1 and he was technically discharged but I told Rosa not to wake him and that I would pay the extra day. Rob was already there and smiled when I wheeled in his chair.

"That looks fancy and expensive" He said kissing both my cheeks. "It's just a rental, he only needs it for a week if that. And I thought wheeling himself around or being wheeled around would annoy him. What do you think? In case he wanted to get back in the studio. And this one folds-up so we can put it in the boot if he wants to go anywhere. Rob, what, which one would he prefer?"

Rob was just smiling at me, "Whaat?" I asked.

"You care too much for him. He doesn't deserve you, Sweet Pea."

I laughed, "That's not true at all. And how can I possibly care too much for him?"

He waved his hand in a circle, indicating me and the chair. "Like this." He said. I just shook my head.

"Have they installed the railing on the wall?"

"Yes, that's done."

"Ok good. I know he's going to be a pissy brat. Now he can stand and stretch out or do some fucking ballet in the garden." Rob laughed.

"You changed the furniture outside!"

"Yeah, he hated the previous one. So, I thought it would annoy him to sit out and look at it all the time. He can change it if he doesn't like it... I just took a shot in the dark with that one...Not sure if it's his aesthetic." I shrugged.

"Yeah, that glass was not a vibe at all. Not sure anybody liked it. Also, this is technically your house, so you can put in whatever you want." He smiled.

"Don't remind me, Ro. I'm trying to forget that part and I never ever want to bring it up, ever. I know I signed a lot of shit and I don't want to know about that either. So, I'm planning on pretending it never happened and ignoring him if he ever brings it up." I shook my head.

He laughed. "You are so strange, Lala, darling. But this...", He said indicating the outside table and chairs. "This works, it suits the interiors perfectly and it's the same tone and the wood grain is great... excellent choice, I can't wait to brunch it." I nodded relieved.

"So, chair wise, is this one fine?"

"Of course, it is Lala. I can't see him wheeling himself around or wanting to be pushed around. This way he has some independence to go where he wants even if no one is around. I think he'll be happier with this."