Chapter 32 Ella/Kai

Ella

"Hi" I whispered to them. "Sorry, I .. I just.. didn't.."

"Notice us?" Rob whispered smiling; he crushed me in a tight hug which I returned. 

I hugged Sofia, purely because she was Kai's mum, glad they didn't see my flinch. But I knew Kai would know. "I thought you'd at least call me, Stella." She said.

"I'm sorry, Sofia. I don't have your number and I was a bit frantic and I wasn't exactly in the right frame of mind." I whispered. I looked back at Kai, his eyes were closed, his pallor was grayish and he looked like he was in so much pain, where was the nurse?

"You were frantic? My son's just been diagnosed with a tumor and you didn't think to..."

"I'm sorry, could you please keep your voice down?" I whispered, her voice kept rising and he was in pain. And I was starting to get unnerved again and I think Kai knew that.

"Ella, come here, just get back in the damn bed with me, please." He said pinching his eyes again. No, this wasn't good.

"Excuse me? Are you asking me to keep quiet?" Sofia's said, eyes widening. Rob shushed her, but I really didn't have time for this.

"No, of course not. I'm so sorry you misunderstood, I'm asking you to speak softly, because he is in pain." I replied.

"No offense Stella dear, but he is my son and I do not appreciate you telling me what I should and should not do where he is concerned."

"Mum, for fuck's sake, please shut up. My head feels like it's being chopped open." He groaned.

"Ella, please just come here, don't make me ask you again." So, I went and stood by his side. He grabbed my sweatshirt but I noticed he was sweating again. Too much for it to be normal. More than before.

"That's too much sweat." I said more to myself. I kissed Kai. "I'll be right back, you don't seem ok"

"Baby, just stay."

"Kai, please listen to me, let go of my shirt baby, you're not ok. I'm not leaving, I'll be back in a sec. Just a sec."

I dashed out to the nurse's station.

"Hi, somethings wrong, could you please check on room 221, he needs his pain meds and he looks like he's about to black out or something. He is over sweating." My voice was frantic, panicked. A slightly elderly lady turned, "Is it Mr. Walker?"

"Yes, he keeps pinching his eyes shut." I said. "Like he did before he passed out at home."

She picked up the phone and said something to someone, then she came to me. "Stella is it?"

"Yes." she smiled.

"I'm glad you got some rest, he said you would panic. Dr. Mathews is right on his way, just breathe, I know you're worried. Just breathe."

"He's going to be fine."

"Right." I nodded, "but he doesn't seem fine. Please can you give him his pain meds, please."

Right then, Dr. Mathews rounded the corner. "What's happened?"

"I don't know, he keeps pinching is eyes shut and his skin has gone grey and he is sweating a lot." I said.

"Has he been given his injections?" 

"I was just.." 

"Mir. I told you immediately." He gave the nurse a flurry of instructions and walked quickly into the ward. I followed.

"What's happening to him? Dr. Matthews, he doesn't seem ok."

"Calm down, Stella, we're here now, we will sort it out. Nothing to worry about."