96

madelines POV

my phone started vibrating in my pocket while I was singing. I continued to sing as I slowly slid my phone out my pocket. 

it was the hospital. 

I wanted to run off stage and answer it right away and say fuck it. but then again, I wanted to be someone important. I wanted to carry on to be a musician. 

I slid my phone back in my pocket and continued to sing. 

after I finished, I said goodnight to everyone on stage and walked off. 

as I was walking to lucas, I debated on whether or not to call the hospital back. 

" the hospital called..." I said, smiling sadly. 

"its probably just the same call. saying he's doing okay." lucas put his arm around me in a friendly way. 

he was right. every night, the doctors called just to tell me Diego was "fine" so I didn't bother to call them back.

" lets go get milkshakes." lucas says as we walked out to the car in the lonely, dark night. 

"I just wanna go home.." I say as we get in the car. 

" alright ill take you home. " he smiles, disappointingly.

as we get to the house, I get out the car and lucas tells me goodnight then drives off. 

when I walk inside, I immediately drop on the couch. 

I stare at the missed phone call appeared on my screen. 

" good night Diego..." I whisper holding my engagement ring on the chain, in my hand.

Diegos POV

" Diego, is there anyone we can call for you to come see you?" a tall , old man grabs my hand and looks at me smiling. 

" wheres madeline.." I say, choking, my throat was dry and scratching. it hurt to speak. 

" we tried calling her...but we got no response.." he says looking down. 

" she had a gig tonight at that  Avenue Bar didn't she? it was all over instagram" a light skinned lady said as she  walked through the door marking shit on her clipboard.

a gig? 

what the fuck .

" well...call...call..her again!" I was getting upset... how could she just leave me? I'm so lost and confused... I don't even know why I'm here. 

Madelines POV

I woke up to the same nightmare. 

I looked at my phone and it read 11:23pm

I started crying.  i couldn't stop thinking of him. I keep replaying his voice in my mind. a thousand times.  I think of every word he's said.  

my phone buzzed, reminding me I had a missed called. 

my phone was a a constant reminder the fact that I did this to Diego. I sat there...and listened to him slowly die on the other end of the line that night. 

I threw my phone against the wall. 

watching it shatter into millions of pieces.

move on already...