Summer Festival

Ritsuka let out a small sigh as he was sitting on his chair in his room, reading through some documents from Chaldea. As he was reading through them, he looked at a nearby family photo of him and his family. It was then he was reminded of his life before he arrived in Chaldea and got himself involved in the moonlit world and the many things that were involved in it.

As he looked at the family photo, memories of his childhood came into his mind.

"Mommy! When are the fireworks going to start?"

"In a few minutes sweetie. For now, just wait, okay?"

"Yeah!"

"Hey! I got the yakisoba!"

"Thank you, daddy!"

Ritsuka let out a smile as he was revisiting the memories of his childhood, which he was fond of. "Man, it's summer already, and I'm in Antarctica as the last master of Chaldea, an organization dedicated to protecting humanity. I wonder how my parents are doing right now..." Soon, Ritsuka stopped thinking and resumed reading through the paperwork he was assigned to. Eventually, he was done with the paperwork and let out a huge sigh of relief as he relaxed on his chair. "Well, my paperwork is done...I might as well get some exercise now..."

Ritsuka then got out of his chair and left the room, walking aimlessly without any thought. As he was walking down the hallway, he bumped into Mashu. "Oh, hey there Mashu."

"Hey there senpai. You seemed to be a bit out of it today," Mashu replied.

"Hm? Ah, well, my mind has been wandering off I'll admit," Ritsuka replied with embarrassment in his voice.

"How come?"

"Well...to be honest, a selfish part of me misses a certain thing from my childhood."

"What is it?"

Ritsuka was silent before giving Mashu his answer. "A summer festival."

"Eh? A summer festival senpai?"

"Yes. Even now I still remember those days back before I was involved in Chaldea. I would ask my mom to take me to the game stands where I would win prizes, my dad would buy food from the food stands, and when night would come, the fireworks would be launched into the night sky."

Mashu was amazed with Ritsuka's description. "Wow. That sounds like a night to remember senpai," she said with awe in her voice.

"Yeah. Even now, I still miss those days, and I feel a little homesick..." Ritsuka admitted.

"I see..."

"Oh my, looks like I overheard something interesting," a familiar voice said.

Both Ritsuka and Mashu jumped upon hearing the familiar voice and turned around to see who overheard them. As they did, they saw Merlin, who was looking at them with a smile. "Merlin/Merlin-san?" they said in unison.

"Yup, it's me! The greatest mage of all of Britain, Merlin!" Merlin greeted. "Now then, what's this I've been hearing about some sort of festival?"

"Well, I was talking to Mashu about my days of childhood before I applied for Chaldea, which involved the summer festival that happens every year," Ritsuka replied.

"I see. And I suppose you were homesick and wanted to experience it again, right?"

"Y-Yeah. Did you go through senpai's head again, Merlin?" Mashu asked with a few bits of suspicion in her voice.

Merlin nodded sideways. "No, no. I just happened to overhear your conversation. Just as simple as that. Anyways, Ritsuka, you said you were homesick and wanted to see the festival again, correct?"