SIXTY FOUR

LOUIS

What Liam had warned Louis about happened on a Wednesday afternoon as Louis left work and was going to pick up his daughter from daycare.

"Mr. Tomlinson" a woman spoke.

Louis looked in that direction and saw it was detective Marshall.

"Hello" Louis mumbled, but he didn't stop walking, and continued his way.

"I was wondering if we could have a word" detective Marshall said as she walked next to Louis.

"If you want to talk to me we can do it at your station with my lawyer present" Louis told her.

"We don't have to go through all of that, just a casual talk between us suffices" the woman told him.

"I can't talk now, I have to pick up my daughter" Louis told her, and then repeated what Liam had told him to say "But tomorrow I can go to your station with my lawyer".

"Who's going to pick up your daughter when you go to jail, huh? Or take care of that baby you're carrying?" detective Marshall asked him.

"What?" Louis asked wide eyed, and stopped on his tracks.

"You know what you did, and I know what you did, and that means you can go to jail" detective Marshall explained.

"I don't know what you're talking about" Louis shook his head.

"Mr. Tomlinson, you're not fooling anyone, so stop pretending, talk to me, and maybe we can reach an understanding" the detective told him.

"If you want to talk to me it has to be with my lawyer present" Louis repeated once again.

"Don't say I didn't warn you" detective Marshall said, and walked away.

Louis was left speechless and terrified, and he had to force himself not to break down in tears right there in the middle of the street. He put his arm around his belly protectively, and continued walking to the tube station as the brief conversation with the detective kept playing in his head over and over again.

When he reached the University, he was still freaking out, but tried to hide it as much as possible when he went into the daycare to pick up Leah.

"Mama" Leah said raising her arms to him.

"Hi, baby" Louis smiled at her as he picked her up "Did you have a good day?".

"She was great today" Gia, who was one of the girls that worked there, told him.

"That's good to hear" Louis tried to smile "Let's go now, okay?".

Louis tried to put Leah in the stroller, but she refused, even screaming, and because he didn't want to deal with it, he just put Leah's bag in the stroller, said goodbye to the daycare workers, and walked out of there pushing the stroller with one hand while he carried Leah with the other.

But he didn't go home, instead, he found a bench, sat down, and decided to call his boyfriend.

"Hey, babe" Harry picked up.

"Hey, are you busy?" wondered Louis as he tried his best not to cry.

"Kind of, but I can talk anyway, what's up?" Harry asked.

"I just picked up Leah, but I wanna come to your office for a second, can I?" Louis begged.

"Yeah, of course" Harry replied "What's going on, love?".

"I'll tell you in a minute" Louis said and ended the call.

He got up with Leah, and headed with her and the stroller to the building where Harry's office was, making his way through it while he kept trying not to cry.