FOUR

LOUIS

Louis knew that right after he told Dr. Kraus his decision, that he told the Pearson's the 'news', which made his decision final.

Now there was no way he could change his mind.

So he told himself that this pregnancy had to be exactly the same as the others, and that the baby he was carrying wasn't his, so he shouldn't form any attachment to it.

And so, he knew he needed to start acting normal again, so as it was already 4 PM, he forced himself to get up from his bed, take a shower, and cook dinner for him and Zayn.

"Lou" Zayn acknowledged him when he walk through the door that evening.

"Hey" Louis greeted his friend "I cooked dinner".

"Really?" Zayn asked surprised as he took off his jacket.

"Yeah" Louis smiled.

"So you're okay now? From whatever happened to you?" Zayn questioned.

"I'm okay, yes" Louis confirmed.

"So are you going to tell me what happened to you?" Zayn tried.

"Let's sit down to eat and we can talk about it" Louis declared.

"Okay" Zayn agreed.

Louis went to the kitchen to get the food, while Zayn washed his hands and then sat at the table as Louis put their plates there.

"So?" Zayn asked eagerly.

The truth was that Louis had no intention to tell Zayn the truth, no one could know the truth, so he had come up with a lie to explain his behavior for the last 2 weeks.

"So, uhm... I lied the day of the transfer" Louis started "It didn't go well".

"How come?" Zayn frowned.

"I don't remember exactly the term the doctor used, but it was my fault, it was a problem with my body, and although he did the implantation, he said that it most likely wouldn't take" Louis lied through his teeth.

"But that's always a risk, isn't it?" Zayn asked.

"Yeah, but my paycheck depends on it working" Louis pointed out "And if my body had a problem then it meant I might not keep working as a surrogate, and I don't know how to do anything else".

"Lou, I know you've been doing this for a while now, but it's not something you can do forever" Zayn pointed out.

"I know but I thought I at least had a few more years left" Louis explained to his friend, and sighed "Anyway, that's why I was acting weird for the last 2 weeks, but uhm... today I went in for a blood test and it turns out it did work out after all".

"So you're pregnant?" Zayn asked.

"Yes" Louis dared a smiled.

"That's great" Zayn smiled back.

"Yeah, it is" Louis nodded, as he tried to convince himself.

"So there's nothing to worry about?".

"No".

"Well, that's a relief" Zayn offered.

"Yeah, definitely" Louis agreed.

"But I wish you had told me sooner what was going on, you know I'm always here for you" Zayn said to him.

"Yeah, I know, I just didn't feel like sharing before" Louis explained, or more like lied "But now that I know it all worked out I figured I might as well tell you".