Safe distance?

Amukelani's POV

I sigh a sigh of relief when the water makes contact with my skin. I just got back from the gym and i would like to erase everything that happened there. The fact that i have to see him tomorrow makes me want to quit gym but I can't because it's what i had told myself to do after a long back and forth between my mind and heart.

I take a quick shower and i lotion my body and wear a satin night dress that reaches mid thigh and i wear a robe and slippers. I go downstairs to the kitchen and Mam Miriam gives me my plate of food and i thank her. "Yonkinto isa hamba kahle?" she asks. (Is everything going well.) "Yonkinto iright ma ungakhathazeki." I say and she stares at me for a bit and nods. (Everything is okay don't worry.)

This thing with women and their sixth sense. I know she can sense something is wrong but she won't push me to talk about it until I'm ready. I don't think i want to talk about what happened today. I would like to bury today's memory and make it a thing of the past which will be by tomorrow morning. I pour myself a glass of wine and i take my plate and go sit down.

I need something stronger than this but it will have to do for now cause it's not available. "Mamá." says Sinokuhle. "Yes nana." "Where do you work?" "I'm an attorney, why?" "At school they said we must ask our parents where they work." "I'm an attorney." "Okay." She goes back to stuffing her face with food while watching TV.

After eating i take their plates and wash them. Mam Miriam comes in the kitchen and sits on the bar stool. "Its best if you start talking now." she says. "Its a bit too complicated." I say. "Complicated stuff are made easier by explaining plus it helps to talk to someone from outside." I sigh. "There is a lot going on in my life and i feel like this year is not my year."

"You giving up so soon." she says. "When you see that the year is not yours you must wait until the following year to make it yours." I say and she laughs. "It can't be that bad to the point of giving up." "Somethings don't make sense. Nje the Creator above looks at me and His like yeah this one we'll make her life a living hell." She laughs again.

I don't like the fact that she's laughing at me cause she doesn't get the depth of this situation. I can't explain it to her cause it would require me to explain some more until I end up mentioning I'm in the mafia and i wouldn't want her to have a heart attack because of me. "He will help you get through this." she says. "He better start doing it now otherwise I won't last the whole year." I say.

"Just pray to God and ask Him to guide you and lead you." she says and i nod. Do you still pray to Him after committing so many sins that are unforgivable? I keep that thought to myself and continue with the dishes. After washing I rinse them and pack them. There is a knock on the door and i look at Mam Miriam. Who would be at the door this time and how did he or she get past the gate without me being notified?

"Nobody knows I live here so this person is for you." she says. I wish I could take a gun right now but I can't so I settle for a bat. Hopefully I know how to hit properly otherwise I'm doomed. "You being dramatic with the bat." "Ma the guards at the gate didn't tell me someone is coming so I have to use this." I say and she rolls her eyes.

I walk slowly towards the door and open it. To my surprise I find my uncle standing there. Wait, how did he figure out this is where I live and how did he get past the gate without being interrogated? "To answer your questions your mom connected me to Langa and i bribed them a bit." he says. I'm still in shock to answer and i nod and make space for him to enter.