Love her?

Sthembiso's POV

After she drops the phone I release a breath i didn't know I was holding. That conversation went deep out of nowhere. I know what she means when she says that her going to the gala will bring back some memories. In all honesty I'm not looking forward to it either because it will just trigger me and i don't know if I'll be able to hold it in. The mafia gala was the event that changed our lives forever.

"Daddy." says Sino. "Yes princess." I say. "Tired." "Okay let's go change into pjamas then we will read a bedtime story and sleep." She nods and we stand up and head upstairs to her bedroom. She loves this room very much and she couldn't stop thanking me after I showed her. We get inside and i take out her pajamas from the closet and help her change.

"You don't need the toilet?" I ask. "Please." "Gijima." (Run.) She runs to the bathroom and after a few minutes she calls me so I can come and wipe her. One thing about Sino is that she will leave a deadly smell in the bathroom. I wipe her and we flush the toilet and wash her hands. We walk back to her room and i finish dressing her up in pjamas.

"Why you and mommy no together?" she asks and i sigh. "It's complicated." I answer. "Love her?" "I don't know about that but I do care for her and i will do anything to make sure she is safe." "Cofused." I chuckle. "You are going to be confused because it's adult's stuff." She nods. I open up the blankets and cover her up. "What story should I read?"

"Cindrella." she answers and i take the book from the book shelf and start reading the story for the umpteenth time. Once I'm halfway through the book she is asleep. I close the book and put it back in the shelf. I kiss her forehead and cheek and whisper I love you. I switch off the lights and leave one lamp on just in case she needs to see in the dark.

She's been on her best behaviour since she arrived and she's making this whole parenting thing seem easy but I know they say it's only temporary. I leave the door ajar and go back downstairs to switch off the lights and make sure the doors and windows are locked. I head back upstairs to my room and plop myself on the bed.

Mafia gala, mafia gala. It's been four years since I've been to one and i was avoiding it because I didn't want to see Amukelani. Every year they would tell me she didn't come and i should come next time but when the next time came I chickened out and ghosted them. People don't know that that place holds so many memories I try to keep hidden.

That place changed me forever. It made me who I an right now. If it wasn't for the mafia gala we would be talking a different story. I just have to suck up my emotions and push the memories to the back of the corner if I want to survive this whole gala dinner. I'm just glad she isn't here so maybe the memories won't resurface as much but who am I fooling.

°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°
My office phone rings and i answer it. It's my PA letting me know that there is someone who would like to meet me and I let the person in. A few minutes later I hear a knock on the door and i tell the person to come in. My PA walks in with this woman and we greet each other and she sits down.

"I'm Mrs. Mokubung but you can call me Lerato. I am the owner of M&M properties." she says. It makes sense why she kind of looked familiar to me. M&M properties are one of the best designers/architects I know. They usually build apartment complexes and estates and then look for agents to sell or rent out their properties. "It's nice to meet you I'm Mr. Khoza but you can call me Sthembiso." I say.