I. The beginning

Mornings. I hated mornings. Especially Monday mornings, when it was the first day of school. So I tried to do everything I could to stay in bed, but did that work? Nope. 
     "Alina! Get up!" Elena called out from the other side of my door. I groaned, rolling over, the covers falling off my bed as I walked over to my door, flinging it open. 

    "I'm up." I huff. She gives me a smug smile, turning around and walking across the hall to her room.  Before she closes her door she turns to me with a pointed look. 

   "You have twenty minutes, Bonnie will be here soon." She tells me, closing her door. I mimick her words, no sound coming out. I pull my door back, grabbing my towel and walking towards the bathroom. 
    I reach for the door as Jeremy opens it from the other side with wide eyes. He steps out and moves to the side, gesturing for me to go in. I give him a sarcastic smile as I slam the door. 

   "Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed." I hear him grumble. I pull the door back and he jumps slightly. 

    "I heard that," I say, closing the door again. I walked over to the shower and turned the water on, letting it run till it's hot. I throw my hair up into a ponytail, having washed it last night. 
    I hop into the shower and let the water run over me for a few minutes. I scrub myself off and let the hot water relax me. I soon force myself off the shower and wrap my towel around me, heading back to my room. 

     As I get into my room, I lock my door and walk over to my closet. I scan my clothes and sigh, throwing on a pair of light wash jeans and a black tank top, throwing my leather jacket on over it. I pulled my leather black heeled booties out and laced them up. 
   I guess I fit into the stereotype of being the reckless one, the person who didn't give a crap and did whatever she wanted... but it didn't matter.

    I look at myself in the mirror, taking my hair out of the ponytail and letting the natural curls fall to the small of my back. That's the only way you'd be able to tell Elena and me apart, she has naturally straight hair, while mine is naturally curly.
    My eyes flicker over to the pictures that littered my dresser. The ones of my parents, Elena, Jeremy and i... before the accident. Last year we were in a car accident, well mom, dad, Elena and I were. They died, but somehow, Elena and I survived, we woke up on the bank of the lake and I had no idea how. I didn't like not knowing things. 

     I sigh, laying the picture face down and then give a smile to myself in the mirror. There would be no more of the silent moping. 

   I left my room, walking downstairs and into the kitchen, where Elena and Jeremy were fighting over a cup of coffee. I roll my eyes, taking the cup from them and walking over to the kitchen island. Jeremy and Elena look to me with frowns and I shrug. 

   "There's more cups." I smile, taking a sip of the coffee. Jeremy gives a sarcastic smile, pouring himself another one and then walking over to sit on the other side of me. 
    Jenna came rushing down the stairs, trying to throw her hair up in a ponytail. "Hey, Jenna. What's up?" Elena smiles. 

    "Uh... lunch money?" She asks, holding out three five-dollar bills. 

    "I'm good." Elena dismisses, while Jeremy and I leaned forward, taking ours. She smiled at us and I smiled at her back. 

    "Anything else? A number two pencil? What am I missing?" She asks. I look up to the clock and tilt my head. 

    "Don't you have that big presentation today?" Elena asks before I could say anything. 

     "Uh, yeah. I'm meeting with my thesis advisor at..." She checks her watch and then her eyes widen. "now, crap." She pulls her hair our of her messy bun.