XXIII. Who is in control

"Come on, Alina, you have to wake up, you have to be okay." I hear. Everything hurts. "Alina, please." She begs. I can hear her pain. My eyes slowly open, adjusting to the light. I groan as i try to roll over but a hand pushes me down. 
    Everything is blurry for a second and everything is just figured, no real details. I start to blink and everything focuses. Elena's standing there, her eyes wide, she's obviously been crying or she's stoned.

     "Oh, my god... Oh, my god!" She cries, "You're awake!" She beams, i give her a dry smile. 

    "W-water." I croak out. She nods and walks over to the dresser, picking up a glass and bringing it to me. I sigh in relief after drinking it and look in the mirror, no scars. I touch my neck and Elena smiles.

    "We managed to get the Vervain out of your bites, Damon's blood healed you." She smiles. "How do you feel?"

    "Everything hurts." I groan, flopping back down, making me groan in pain. She frowns slightly and i look to her. "Stop that, I'm alive at least."I smile and she nods. 

    "I'm so glad you're okay, we were so worried for a while." I look around, only seeing her and frowning slightly. "I made Stefan keep Damon in the hall till you woke up, he's been freaking out." She says with a small frown. 

    "Where is he? Where's Damon?" I ask. She sighs and then opens the door, nodding her head inside. Damon bursts through the door and sighs when he sees me. 

    "You're okay." Damon says in relief. 

"I'm okay," I assure. I look over to Stefan and smile. "Are you okay?" He went through so much worse than i did. 

    "Of course you're asking me that." He laughs, "I'm fine, you almost died."

    "Almost?" I ask. 

"Your heart stopped," Damon says, his voice cracking. "Elena got there in time and we were able to stop the bleeding and i did CPR." 

    "CPR..." I mumble and Damon hums in conformation. I could be a vampire right now... I look over to Elena and Stefan and sigh. "Can you give us a minute." Stefan nods and starts to pull Elena with him but she pulls away. "Elena, he saved my life." I remind her. She glares at Damon and huffs. 

     "Just because you saved my sister's life, doesn't mean i like you." She glares. Stefan chuckles, pulling her arm and closing the door. 

    "Wow... she really hates me." He laughs. 

"You say that like it's new," I say, we're quiet for a minute until i break it. "Did you mean it?" 

    "Mean what?" he asks nervously. 

"What you said when you thought i was dying, that i was everything to you?" He nods and i pat the space beside me. He walks over, sitting on the bed and i place my head on his chest as he wraps an arm around me. "Why?" 

    "Why what?" 

"Why do i mean everything to you?" 

     "You're the only person i can trust. You came into my life when i was broken, damaged and fading. You somehow fought your way in and saved me. You cared for me, and by doing that, you made me care about you too." I sit there quietly, thinking. I can't say thank you, i don't know what it's like to have people that need me. "What are you thinking about?" 

     "Do you know what it's like to have people you loved all your life leave you? At first, you sit there and try to figure out what to do next, and you'll blame yourself, and i know that it isn't my fault..." I say I'm talking about my parents' death, if i hadn't made Elena call them, they'd still be alive. 
    "You know Elena was the favorite?" I laugh, "I think the only time they were proud of me was when i pulled Elena out of the road when we were eight, We were riding our bikes and it was raining, a car was speeding and Elena almost went into the street, but i pulled her back. She got in trouble for once." I say, Damon started rubbing small circles in my arm and i sighed. "But after that, it was like no matter what i did i kept letting people down, and when i was in middle school, i started thinking how everyone's lives would be better without me."