XIV. All i can do is grieve

"Have you even talked to bonnie?" I ask Caroline as we walk towards the front door of the school

    "No. I'm mad at her. She needs to make the first move." Caroline shrugs. 

   "Be the bigger person." Elena sighs, looking to our blonde friend. 

    "Impossible in her presence." She grumbles. 

"Why are you so pissed at her, anyway?" Elena asks, frowning. 

     "She's a thief. That's why. I gave her my necklace. and she refuses to give it back. It's a matter of principle." Caroline explains. Last night, at Stefan's party, Caroline asked for the necklace she gave to Bonnie as part of her Halloween costume and Bonnie said no.

    "All right. Well, i tried." I sigh and Elena nods. "We're officially out of it." 

    "Good." Caroline smiles, turning to look at Elena. "Your turn. Where's Stefan? Have you talked to him?"

    Elena sighs, frowning. "He's avoiding me." 

"Why?" 

     "It's complicated." The bell rings and Elena sighs, linking her arm with mine. 

    "See you later, Care." I smile.

"Bye." She waves as we walk over to history. 

      "So today we find out who our new history teacher is. No more Mr. Hanes." I laugh, referring to the temp sub we've had. Elena laughs and nods. Elena and I walk in, taking our seats in the middle of the room. The late bell rings and Bonnie comes rushing in, her head down and who I'm presuming is our new history teacher, right after her. 

    "Good morning, Everyone." he smiles. Bonnie takes a seat in the back, not her usual seat near Elena and i. We both look to each other confused. "Alright..." He sighs, writing his name on the board.
     Elena and i turn to Bonnie, Elena mouthing the words, 'Are you okay?' but Bonnie just shrugs. We frown and look back to the board. 

'Alaric Saltzman'

"Alaric Saltzman." He says, pointing to his name. "It's a mouthful, i know. Doesn't exactly roll off the tongue." I look around and notice Stefan isn't here, and when i look back to Elena she already has a frown on her face. "Saltzman is of German origins. My family emigrated here in 1755 to texas. I, however, was born and raised in Boston. Now the name Alaric belongs to my very dead great-grandfather, who i will never be able to thank enough." 

    I sigh, laying my head in my palm as he keeps talking. "You'll probably want to pronounce it 'Ala-ric' but it's 'A-Lar-Ic,' okay? So you can call me Ric." He looks out at all of us and then nods. "I'm your new history teacher." 

    I lean back in my seat and smile. This guy is so much better than Tanner.

__________________________________________