XLIX. A new day

Have you ever heard the sound of silence? I haven't until now

       Have you ever heard the sound of silence? I haven't until now. It was an annoying buzzing sound. A sound that could drive a person crazy. And it was driving me crazy. "It's been two days, Damon..." Stefan? 

     "She'll wake up." I hear Damon grit out, "She has his blood in his system. She'll wake up." I hear him whisper. The door closes, but it's not my door. It's heavier. I'm in Damon's room. "Please, you have to wake up." I hear him beg, and it hurts. Suddenly i feel everything rushing back, The dagger in my chest, the feeling of Klaus' blood rolling down my throat and then dying. 
    I choke on air, sitting straight up. 

"Hey, hey, it's okay, it's okay. Breathe." Damon says, moving to sit behind me. I grab onto his hand and he pulls me close. I start to breathe normally, i can taste everything in the air. "That's better... that's better." He sighs in relief. I turn to look at him and he gives me a small smile. "Hey, baby..." 

     "Damon..." I say cautiously, looking around. Everything looks the same but isn't. It's brighter, everything is so much louder, brighter... clearer it's scary. "What's going on?" 

      "Alina... you died." Damon says slowly, "And now you're not so... dead." 

     "I'm in transition..." I frown. I shake my head and i feel like I'm going crazy. I push myself away from Damon, standing up.

     "Hey, hey, relax. Relax," he says, putting my face in his hands, "Everything's going to be okay." I quickly wrap my arms around him and he holds me tightly. The door opens and i jump. Damon holds my hand, calming me down. I see Stefan and he's pulling a suitcase in behind him. 

     "You're awake." Stefan smiles. I nod, looking down to the suitcase. 

     "Where's Elena?" I ask, "Is she okay?" 

"She's fine." Stefan nods, "But, uh, she's at home. With Jeremy." he says softly. "She thinks..." 

     "Not now." Damon grits out, shaking his head. I frown, looking between them. 

     "What's going on?" I ask, Damon gives a look to Stefan and i frown, "Damon, tell me." 

     He sighs, taking my hand, "She doesn't think it's safe for you to stay there until you've learned to control it." He frowns, "She wants you to stay here, so we can teach you how to." 

     I nod slowly, "She's right. It's not safe for Jeremy." I nod. 

"I'll leave you two..." Stefan says, putting the suitcase by the dresser and then shutting the door. 

      "You should feed," Damon tells me. I look over to him, nodding. "You'll be out of it for a couple days..." He explains, "Everything will come back slowly." He says, handing me a blood bag. He rips it open for me, a drop of blood pouring out. I feel my fangs poke through my gums, i let out a small cry, handing the blood bag to Damon. 

    "I-It hurts..." 

"It's going to until you feed." He frowns. He hands it back to me and i put it to my lips, as soon as i taste it, i feel crazed, i squeeze the bag until i know there's nothing left in it. He has a small smile on his face. "How do you feel?"

     "I feel great." 

_________________________________________________

        It's been a few days. Jenna's dead and so is John. I haven't been able to fully process it yet. Jeremy came to see me once. John died, saving Elena from becoming a vampire, she wouldn't have been able to handle it. She wasn't made for this kind of stuff. I hear a knock on the door and look over, seeing Jeremy standing there. 

    "Hey..." I smile. 

"Hey, how're you feeling?" 

     "I'm okay." I nod. "Are you okay?" I ask, Jeremy's lost so much. 

     "I will be, i still have you and Elena, so i can't complain." He smiles. "You're not ready yet?" 

    "I just need to put on my dress." I shrug, looking over to the black dress i wore to my parent's funeral that's laying on the bed. I see his face fall and i frown. "What's wrong?" 

    "John wrote this for you, he asked me to give it to you when i knew you were stable." He laughs. I give a small laugh, taking it from him. "I'll see you in a bit okay?" I nod and he gives me a small kiss on my head. I smile as he walks away, the door closing. I take a deep breath, opening it. 

     'Dear Alina, 

              Alina, it was no easy task watching you grow up from afar and knowing i was an ordinary parent to a girl who i knew was meant to be great. And i know i failed as a parent, and i failed you. I wish i could have been there for you the way you needed me to be. I watched you grow up the odd one out, and i watched you rise from the ashes and become the person you were meant to be. I watched you grow up, i watched you be in love, and i watched you live life. For me, it's the end, but a new chapter has begun for you. 

     Prove me wrong, show me how good vampires can actually be. I'm not asking for forgiveness, and i don't want you to forget. But i want you to know, i loved you every ounce a father should, although i was never there as a father. 

     Love, dad.' 

    I take a few deep breaths as the tears cascaded down my face. The door opens and Damon instantly pulls me into his arms. 

     "I'm sorry you have to go through this again..."

_________________________________________________

     I take a deep breath as i walk up to Jenna and John's graves. I put a rose down on Jenna's grave, holding onto it for support. "I know i told you that i loved you, but i never said how thankful for you i was. And now it's too late... but if i never had you, i don't know where I'd be right now." I say quietly. "So thank you.
     I look over to Johns and i place one down and a small smile comes over my face.

      "Love you, dad." 

Damon walks up behind me, a hand on my shoulder. I smile up at him, standing, He wipes a stray tear off my face. "You're beautiful." I roll my eyes, leaning into him. "You won't leave me right?"

    "I couldn't dream about." I smile, he leans down, giving me a kiss. 

     'Where is she?' I hear Elena mumble. I pull away from Damon, sighing. "Elena's looking for me," I mumble. 

     "You heard that?" He frowns. 

  "How could i not?" I hum. He laughs, "I'll see you later, okay?" He nods, i use my speed to get to Elena, running into a tree. 

     "There you are." Elena sighs, "Why are you hugging a tree?" 

     "I'm still getting used to his." I huff. 

"You're learning fast, though." Elena smiles, I hum and she wraps her arm around me. "We're gonna get through this together."