Friendly - Hunter

- Consider the ending of the last chapter a reward for reading 13 whole parts. Imagine if you read more. Light swear warning. Happy reading :) -

By the time I went back inside, everyone said Willow went upstairs to go to bed. Did I do something wrong? Did she?

I laid in my sleeping bag in the basement that night, restless. 

Every time I thought about it my heart beat in a quick, funny pattern. 

Somehow, I was able to get some mystery amount of sleep and slinked up into the kitchen where only Luz was. 

She waved to me weakly, laying her face down into her bowl of Fruity Pebbles. 

"Are you okay?" I asked, sitting down across from her.

"Today is my last day of freedom." She waved her spoon around in the air a couple of times.

She looked up at me. "Scratch that. Our freedom."

Oh yeah. The first day of school was tomorrow.

"It can't be that bad." I deadpanned. 

She raised her eyebrows at me. "You would be surprised my dear friend. Although don't listen to me, you have a fresh start." She paused. "And you look like a basic white boy so actually you might be fine."

"What the heck does that mean?" 

"You'll figure it out.

I guess I will. 

Amity came wondering into the kitchen. She sat down next to Luz and kissed her on the cheek. "Goodmorning batata!" She exclaimed, weirdly sunny and cheerful for it being 8 am on a Sunday morning.

I watched as they smiled at each other, engrossed in their weird, kissy, couple shit.

"Luz I have a question."

She turned her head to me expectantly, holding Amity's face in her hands. 

"That thing you do," I said pointing to my cheek.

"You mean this?" Amity asked, kissing the side of Luz's face again with an exaggerated 'mwah'.

"Yeah, that. Can someone do that in like, a really friendly way?"

They exchanged strange glances before answering. "I mean, I guess. But that's not usually the case." Luz said.

"Mhm. The first time I kissed Luz like that, it was because I liked her. Not because I wanted to tell her she was a good friend or something." 

"So like. Theoretically, if someone were to, out of nowhere just do that to me what would that mean?" I asked.

Luz crossed her arms. "Hunter, what did you do?"

"I didn't do anything! I think. Just answer the question." 

She sighed. "Yeah I guess, that would probably mean that who ever did that was looking for something romantic with you." She smirked. "Theoretically." 

After a second Amity gasped. What? She leaned over and whispered something into Luz's ear. WHat??

Luz grinned at me. WHATTTT?

"Hunter, is there anything you wanna tell us?" 

I felt like I was being interrogated.

"I don't want to tell you anything." I replied.

"But you have something to tell us, yes?"

I debated telling them for the longest time. I knew they would make a huge deal out of everything but maybe they could help.

"Okay so last night or whatever I was outside and Willow came out and sat by me, we talked for a bit and then she just randomly did... that."

They shared a subtle high-five and smiled at me.

"Ooh! Hunter! You should ask her to a school dance or something. Gravesfield high has these welcome back dances on the first Friday back at school. You could ask her to it." Luz suggested, pushing her spoon around in her mushy cereal.

"That's stupid." I said.

"It's not stupid, it's cute. I know for a fact I'll be taking my awesome girlfriend." She replied with a wink. 

"Yeah well you're gushy." I said, sticking my tongue out. She stuck her tongue back out at me, starting a war on who could stick their tongue out the furthest at one another. 

Amity threw a leftover pancake at me, and it landed on my face. 

Luz put her tongue back into her mouth and gave me an 'I win' face. I returned the favor with a look that said 'Like hell you did'.

"Did it ever occur to you that she might just be trying to be friendly? It doesn't have to be romantic." I said after a second.

"Do you want it to be?" Luz asked, her mouth full.

I paused. Did I? I mean Willow was amazing. Amazing was an understatement and when I thought about doing coupley things with her I drove myself crazy. So maybe it was a yes?

"I guess." I mumbled. 

Gus came into the kitchen and beamed. "Hey, Luz. Can we go back to the public pool again today?" He asked, without saying good morning to anyone or anything.

"Good morning to you too. And yeah, probably." Luz replied. 

She finished her cereal and got up. But before she turned to place her dishes in the sink she leaned over to me. "Just ask her out. You won't regret it. Probably." She said in a low voice.

Amity nodded in agreement. I guess it was settled then. I was going to ask Willow out.

- Sorry it's a little short, I'll get to the next one quickly. Thanks for 450+ reads! -