Proud - Hunter

- Just counted the drafts in the planner and I think the story is probably going to end before I go back to school in September.

I'm sort of scared for this to end idk

happy reading -

I opened my eyes only to find Luz staring down at me. I jumped a bit, because she startled me.

"Good morning." She said with a smile.

"Luz, what are you doing?" I asked, tired. I rubbed my eyes and yawned. I got too used to sleeping in.

"Do you know what day it is?"

I stretched my neck out to look over at the calendar on my wall. "It's a Sunday morning?"

"Yessss.. but it's also..." She smiled even wider.

"Stop playing mind games with me."

"It's your birthday Hunter. Your birthday."  

"Oh." I stared at her blankly. "How old am I?"

She grabbed my arm and pulled me up out of bed. "You're seventeen now get up, we made pancakes for you."

Luz dragged me upstairs as I shook off the sleepiness. 

We walked into the kitchen and Camila- I mean, mom gave me a big hug. "Happy birthday Hunter! Vee and I made you favorite."

"I forgot we were going to celebrate this.." I said.

"Why? Because you're a grimwalker..?" Vee asked.

"Uh, no, not really." I replied. "We just already celebrated on a different date a few months ago because I didn't have a designated birthday then."

All three of them exchanged understanding looks before mom pat me on the shoulder. "Don't worry about it Hunter. You've grown so much and come so far in those few months, you deserve this."

"Are you sure?" I asked.

"Todos te amamos aquí, Hunter. No hay necesidad de adivinar todo."

(We all love you here, Hunter. There's no need to second guess everything.)

So I had breakfast with everyone and Luz, Vee and I all went into the Boiling Isles together. 

We walked over to Darius's house and he grinned at me when he opened the door.

He greeted me warmly and led us into the dining room.

And there, Willow, Gus, Amity, Alador, Viney, Skara, Lila, Ryan and King were all sitting together in the same room. When I walked in they all yelled happy birthday in their own Asynchronous pattern.

Before I got the chance to even say hello to anyone, Luz ran across the room to King, then right back to me with a book in her hands.

"Here," She said, handing it to me. "I know you really liked Rulers Reach, so King and I got together and made a special second book just for you."

I turned the book over in my hands. It was a cool colored gradient, contrasted to the first book, which was a gradient of warm colors and was just tilted Rulers Reach II.

Intrigued, I looked over at King. He was definitely forced to do this. Still, it was greatly appreciated. 

"Thank you." I said to Luz, putting the book under my arm.

I sat down at the table with everyone and Darius slid a small box across the table to me.

"Well I think my present is the best, but it's... whatever I suppose." He leaned back in his chair unexcitedly.