Chapter 4

3rd POV:

3rd POV:

After leaving Ivy's, Hopper and Joyce went to the library to do some research on the lab or 'the bad place' as Ivy calls it. They found a lot of information about missing person's cases and experiments done there by Doctor Brenner, the man that runs the lab.

When Hopper went there looking for Will and also for his own curiosity, he grew suspicious of Doctor Brenner because there was something not right about the lab. The sly things the person showing them around would say, like how when Callahan asked about them building bombs and weapons there the man responded 'something like that'. After meeting Ivy he now knows why the man responded like that. He meant they were moulding children to be their weapons.

When the two of them compared notes Joyce had found out about a mother called Terry Ives who claimed the lab stole her baby. It went to court but her claims were thrown out and she was discredited but after what Ivy had told them, Hopper knew that there was truth to what this mother was saying. However, this isn't Ivy's mother as the dates are wrong for her age. It upsets Hopper that it isn't Ivy's mum because he would love to be able to find her parents for her, maybe that might make her feel a bit more comfortable coming out of the woods. 

Hopper had found out about the types of experiments they did there. Before the claims Terry made she was in an experiment at the lab called MKULTRA. Hopper wasn't quite sure what that entailed but he knew that it was a CIA sanctioned experiment. There was obviously a connection between Terry and Brenner but the claims were clearly thrown out because she was right but they can't have people finding that out so they discredited her and made her out to be a crazy lady so no one would believe her.

While they were going over their notes and talking to each other about what they found and how it matches up to what Ivy had told them Hopper got a call on his radio from another officer. Someone from state had found something. 

He had to get to Sattler's Quarry ASAP. 

------------------

Hopper dropped Joyce back at her house where her lights started to flicker. She knew now that it had something to do with the Upside Down, where her son is. 

She had hung up all of her Christmas lights the day before and as soon as she came in they started flickering. She grabbed the closest bunch to her and followed them to where they shone the brightest and she knew that is where Will was, just on the other side. 

She goes inside the little cupboard and starts to talk to him, wanting to get some more answers and find out how he is. 

"Will, are you here?" She asks. The lights instantly started to shine brighter and she let out a breath in relief. 

"Okay, good, good, good... Blink once for yes, twice for no. Can you do that for me, sweetie?" She asks and the lights blink once, telling her he can. 

"Good boy, good boy. Baby, I need to know, are you safe?" She asks and the lights blink twice. Joyce put her head into her hands in worry. Her baby wasn't safe and she couldn't help protect him, it is the worst feeling for a mother. Feeling powerless to protect her baby.