Chapter 7

3rd POV:

3rd POV:

She spent 20 minutes brewing on the sofa, waiting for him to get out of the shower and when he did, she kicked off.

"You were here for the money!" She shouts to him before he can even make it to the living room.

"No!"

"The money! Admit it! You aren't here because of Will. You never cared about him. You never did!" She shouts at him, pushing at his chest as he walked closer to her.

"Jesus, Joyce, it was his funeral today. Do we have to do this right now?"

"I can't believe I was going to fall for this." She exclaims in disbelief.

"I'm here to help, Joyce." He says, not shouting.

"To help?" She repeats, in disbelief.

"We can use that money for good."

"Oh, oh, like maybe to pay off your debts?" Joyce stammers.

"To pay for Jonathan to go to school!" Lonnie lies, not wanting Joyce to know she is right.

"Oh, don't do that."

"Do what?"

"Lie to me!"

"I'm not lying to you!"

"Yeah, well, where does he wanna go, huh?" She asks Lonnie.

"What?"

"Where does Jonathan want to go to college?"

"We get that money, anywhere he damn well pleases!" Lonnie shouts, trying to cover up that he doesn't know.

"NYU, Lonnie! He's wanted to go to NYU since he was six years old!" She screams at him, sick of his shit.

"So then he goes to NYU!" He screams back at her.

"Get out... Get out!" Joyce says through gritted teeth.

"You need me here, Joyce." Lonnie says.

"Oh, I have not needed you for a long time." She says, shoving him in the chest.

"Oh, no? Look what happened." He says, trying to put the blame for everything that has recently happened on her.

"Oh, don't you dare. At least I was here!"

"Oh, come on, Joyce. Just look around at this place. All your Christmas lights. What the hell am I supposed to think? You're such a great mum? You're a mess!" He yells at her.

"Maybe I am a mess. Maybe I'm crazy. Maybe I'm out of my mind! But, God help me, I will keep these lights up until the day I die if I think there's a chance that Will's still out there!" She shouts back to him.

"Now get out! Get out of my house!" She yells at him while shoving his bag in his chest.

He stares at her for a minute before finally leaving.