Chapter 37

3rd POV:

3rd POV:

The boys grab Will's D&D journal and take it into the kitchen. They round everyone up to talk about what they figured out. Dustin opens the D&D journal on the page that talks about the Mind Flayer to tell everyone and so they have something to compare it to, like the Demogorgon.

"The Mind Flayer." He says, slamming the book on the kitchen table.

Steve and Ivy were to his left and Nancy was to his right. They were all looking at the book, wanting to know what they boys were on about. Hopper, however, stood at the other end of the table not wanting to listen. He needed actually helpful information not to chat about a game.

"What the hell is that?" He asks.

"It's a monster from an unknown dimension. It's so ancient that it doesn't even know it's true home. Okay, it enslaves races of other dimensions by taking over their brains using its highly-developed psionic powers." Dustin explains and some of them can see the similarities between the fictional character and their shadow monster.

"Oh, my god, none of this is real. This is a kids' game." Hopper says.

"No, i-it's a manual. And it's not for kids. And unless you know something that we don't, this is the best metaphor--" Dustin defends but is cut off by Lucas.

"Analogy." Lucas corrects.

"Analogy? That's what you're worried about? Fine, fine. An analogy for understanding whatever the hell this is." Dustin rants on. Nancy gets in where she can to stop the two of them so they can get on with figuring out how to defeat this thing.

"Okay, so this mind flamer thing--"

"Flayer. Mind Flayer." Dustin corrects.

"What does it want?" Nancy asks.

"To conquer us, basically. It believes it's the master race." Dustin says.

"Like the, uh- like the Germans

"Like the, uh- like the Germans." Steve says.

"What?" Ivy asks in confusion, not knowing barely anything about history.