Chapter 70

3rd POV: 4 Weeks after the events of Starcourt Mall

Ivy and Steve had just woken up early in the morning and there was already a damper on their mood. It hadn't been long since Ivy lost her friend and her adopted father. She was still processing everything and today she would have to say goodbye to her adopted father, Hopper.

Today was his funeral.

She was no where near prepared for this but she knew she had to be. There was no way she was missing out on this. She had to pay her respects to him. He helped her a lot and he was always there for her, now is her chance to thank him.

"Hey, I'm here if you need me, okay?" Steve says, coming over to her as she is looking in the mirror. She had gotten dressed and was making sure the dress was okay when he wrapped his arms around her from behind.

"I know." She says, leaning back into him.

Just the thought of the day brought tears to her eyes and it hurt her even more that in two days time she would have to officially say goodbye to her friend, Billy.

When they were both ready they headed downstairs and into Steve's car. His parents hadn't been home at all since the incident so they didn't know about Ivy staying with Steve.

Neither of them had any breakfast, not being able to stomach the food.

------

They made it to the cemetery and met up with everyone else. The Byers and El had come back for the funeral and Nancy bought the rest of the kids with her. Though it was good to see her the Byers' none of them were overly happy because of what they had all gathered for. 

When they got there El ran over and wrapped her arms around her sister. This was a day the two of them would need each other the most.

"Come on, guys." Joyce says, leading the kids towards the chapel where the funeral will be held.

Steve looked behind and saw that they were getting the casket out of the hearse. It was an empty casket as there was no body found at the scene because of the fire but they wanted a bit of closure for the girls but also for themselves. 

They carried the casket into the chapel and past all of the people that came to pay their respects, and there was a lot. Ivy was against other people coming, wanting it to be a private place where people that really knew Hop could say goodbye but she was overruled.

Steve took Ivy's hand as the casket came past and she leaned into his side. She didn't know how she was going to get through the day but having Steve with her made it a bit easier. 

They all walked inside the chapel and the funeral began. Ivy was crying to herself and being comforted by Steve and she was comforting El as she cried. They were all shedding tears by the end of the service but Ivy, El and Joyce were crying the most.