Chapter 90

3rd POV:

3rd POV:

Steve led them down the path to Skull Rock, completely ignoring Dustin as he tried to correct him. Dustin was certain they were going the wrong way but Steve said they were going the right way. They were giving Ivy a headache so she hung back a little bit to speak to Max.

"Hey, Max. Can I talk to you real quick?" Ivy asks as Max and Lucas catch up to them.

"Yeah." She says.

Lucas gets the message that it was private and he left to catch up with the two in front as they argue with each other about where they are going.

"What's up?" Max asks.

"I wanted to talk to you about Billy. There are some things you don't know about him that I think you might want to know." Ivy says.

"Okay...?" Max says, a little confused. She grew up with Billy for a long time and she thinks she knows all there is to know about him.

"Well, for starters, he was bullied in California. It was before you and your mum came along but the kids would be really mean to him so he would beat them up and then they would be afraid of him. That's why when he came here he instantly made friends with the popular crowd. He didn't want to be the scary guy that beats everyone up but he also didn't want to be the new angry guy. He just wanted this time to be different." She says.

"Really? I never knew he was bullied." Max says.

"He likes to keep things like that close to his chest. I'm sure you know that his relationship with his father wasn't the best." Ivy says.

"Yeah, I would always hear them shouting at each other and there was always loud crashes but mum would never tell me what was happening." She says.

"His dad would beat the crap out of him. That's how I met him. His dad had just beat him up and he left and came into the woods. We spoke to each other and then he kept coming back and we built a friendship." Ivy says.

"Why didn't I know?" Max asks.

"You were young, you still are. I suspect they didn't want you to know because it isn't a very nice thing to know when you can't do anything about it. I appreciated that he told me and from then on I would try to protect him as much as I could. Sometimes he would stay in my home in the woods just to get away from it all for the night." Ivy says.

"Do you think I was too harsh on him?" Max asks.

"No. Not at all. Sometimes the two of you were mean to each other but that is what it's like." Ivy says.

"What, what is like?" Max asks.

"Being siblings." Ivy answers with a smile, tears of her own shining in her eyes.

"We weren't siblings. Billy would have told you that."

"No. Billy always refered to you as his little sister. He told me that he always tried to seem like he didn't care about you because he didn't want his dad using you as a way to hurt him. He used to use Billy as a way to hurt Billy's mum and he didn't want you to get hurt. He really did love you Max." Ivy says and Max gets teary thinking about how all he did was protect her. "He would always come to me and tell me all about you. One of our first few conversations he told me how much you love skateboarding and that he can never get you off the thing." Ivy tells her and the two of them laugh watery laughs.