Chapter 43

3rd POV:

3rd POV:

Dustin starts to walk forwards, towards the murderous dog. The others all call out to him, trying to stop him but he just shushes them.

"Shh. Stop. Trust me, please." He says.

Ivy thinks he has way too much belief in the Demo-dog. They just need to light it on fire and move on, before his friends come and join him. They're all going to die anyway, might as well make it quick.

The demo-dog starts to make small steps closer to Dustin, just like he did. However, the demo-dog is doing it in a more predatory way like he is waiting to strike.

"Hey. Look, look. It's me, it's me." Dustin says, pulling down his mask and lifting up his goggles so the dog can see his face. "It's just your friend, it's Dustin. It's Dustin, alright?" He says, kneeling on the ground near the monster. "You remember me?" He asks as the demo-dog steps closer. "Will you let us pass?" He asked but he got a snarl in reply. "Okay, okay, I'm sorry. I'm sorry about the storm cellar. That was a pretty douchey thing to do. You hungry? Yeah?" He asks Dart, taking off his backpack to get out some food.

"He's insane." Lucas says, not believing that this could actually work. The others all shushed him, not wanting to alert Dart to their presence or he might try to attack again.

"Shut up." Steve whispers to them all, not wanting Dustin to get hurt if they get too loud.

"I've got our favourite. See? Nougat." Dustin tells him, pulling out a three musketeers bar.

Dart comes closer to Dustin when he sees the chocolate bar. Dustin opens it with a bit of a struggle because of the gloves but he eventually does it. He breaks off pieces of the chocolate bar, laying them on the floor for Dart, just like he did when he first found him but Dart was a lot smaller then.

"Look at that. Yummy. Here, all right?" Dustin talks to Dart as he lays down the chocolate. "Eat up, buddy. Come on. Come on." Dustin says, waving his hand to the other, telling them to pass while Dart is distracted.

"Let's go." Ivy whispers to the kids.

Steve goes first and then Max, Lucas, Mike and Ivy.

"There's plenty. I've got more." Dustin says, keeping Dart distracted but also finally getting to say goodbye. It may have been for a short amount of time but he still loved Dart, he was his pet after all.

Dustin stands up, throwing his backpack over his shoulder and walking past Dart. He turns around and looks down at Dart. Dart turns to look at Dustin before chopping back down on the chocolate.

"Goodbye, buddy." Dustin says.

"Let's go. Let's go." Steve says.

He walks over to the rest of them and Ivy throws an arm over his shoulder, pulling him into a hug as they walk. She knows that was hard for him but that gives her a great Christmas present idea.