Chapter 1 Part 3

No matter what it is, talent is crucial in music. And I never doubted that I was a genius. And indeed, I had some talent.

Until middle school, I thought I sang the best. But that delusion was shattered when I met real geniuses.

Seowon High School, where talented kids from all over the country gather. There, I saw real geniuses.

Talent is cruel. No matter how hard you try, you can't beat a genius. Inborn talent is truly an insurmountable barrier. I realized this reality at 17, at Seowon High School.

But I wasn't wise enough to admit the reality of not having talent at such a young age. So I struggled.

I believed that if I just tried a little harder, I could catch up. I believed in the saying that the world is fair. I stubbornly believed that talent couldn't beat the one who enjoys it.

It was a joke. The world is not fair, and talent is cruel. If I learned 1, they learned 5. If I struggled to learn 5, they were already shouting 100.

I also wanted to succeed as a singer. I wanted to shine on stage like them. So I couldn't give up.

And the result was devastating. I resented everyone in the world. But the most resentful was not admitting it.

I hated geniuses, but at the same time, I wanted to be one.

"Oppa?"

I snap back to reality at Su-yeon's voice. I remember the song Su-yeon just sang. Could it be that Su-yeon has such incredible talent?

"Su-yeon."

"Yeah?"

"Have you learned to sing separately?"

"Yes."

"You did?"

When? As far as I know, Su-yeon has never professionally learned to sing. Did she go to a separate academy? No, that's not possible. The lesson fees at vocal academies are not negligible.

Just thinking about our family's situation makes it overwhelming to pay for my lessons. Seeing my surprised expression, Su-yeon looks disappointed.

"Don't you remember? When I was in elementary school, you taught me."

"Oh."

Come to think of it, that did happen. Su-yeon had to sing at school a long time ago, but she was embarrassed because she couldn't sing well, so she asked me to teach her how to sing.

I did teach her for an hour or two back then, but is that all it takes to have such skill?

"I kept practicing after learning from you... Is that okay?"

"Impressive."

"Really?"

I nod. Then Su-yeon smiles. Seeing Su-yeon so happy with my simple compliment makes me feel incredibly sorry.

"Su-yeon."

"Yeah?"

"You said you wanted to become a singer, right?"

"I mean, it'd be nice."

Su-yeon mumbles, probably considering Mom and me.

Su-yeon had always been that kind of person. It's natural for people to have desires, but she always hid them. Even if she wanted something, she never spoke about it. Is it because she's considerate or because she lacks ambition?

"Okay, let's do it. Let's become a singer." The moment my task was set.

§ § §

Won Seong-min, who operates Howl Studio, has a hobby of observing people. More precisely, the guests who come to the studio.