Chapter 9 Part 2

EP9 - Giant Killing (2)

To put it simply, Jin Sohyang doesn't particularly like the song "Rough." There isn't a significant reason for it. She just doesn't feel it.

Jin Sohyang isn't the only one. The other four members of Hwayangyeonhwa also don't particularly like "Rough." Especially for the adult members, the fact that they have to wear school uniforms again on stage made them feel embarrassed.

Originally, "Rough" wasn't the title track. It was a pre-release song. But it gained more popularity than expected, so it ended up becoming the title track.

That's why Jin Sohyang didn't have high expectations for Yoon Hajoon's arranged version. How much could it change when the basic structure of the song emphasizes cuteness?

That's what she thought.

Until she actually listened to it.

Jin Sohyang listened to Yoon Hajoon's arranged version of "Rough" with a perplexed expression. What's this? Is this the "Rough" I knew?

The bouncy and cute melody that felt lively and adorable had turned very sticky. The fast tempo became slow, while the slow tempo became fast.

If I were to describe it in colors, the song that was pink and yellow turned into a deep crimson, a dark purple-like feeling?

"How is it?"

Yoon Hajoon asked. His characteristic sleepy eyes sharpened. What do you think? Jin Sohyang hesitated for a moment, wondering what to say, and then spoke honestly.

"... Is this still 'Rough'?"

"You don't feel it at all?"

Yoon Hajoon looked perplexed. If "Rough" wasn't felt in this song, it would be a big problem. In that case, it wouldn't be an arrangement but an entirely new composition.

Seeing Yoon Hajoon looking worried, Jin Sohyang nodded her head sympathetically. Each time she did, her hair, reaching down to her shoulders, swayed softly.

"That, that's not it. I'm just a little perplexed."

It did change enough to be a bit perplexing, but the core melody remained intact. This song is undoubtedly "Rough." However, Jin Sohyang's version of "Rough" is a different interpretation that she had never imagined.

"I also slightly changed the lyrics to match the music. But not too much, just a little."

Saying so, Yoon Hajoon handed her a piece of paper. The lyrics were written there. It was exactly as Yoon Hajoon said. There were no significant changes in the lyrics.

It was just a slight modification.

For example, "[I love you]" was changed to "[I only love you]," and "[I want your love]" became "[I only want you]." Similarly, "[I want to hold your hand]" turned into "[I want to hold hands meant only for me]."

Certainly, these aren't significant changes. However, with just these slight modifications, the overall nuance of the lyrics changed completely. For example, the original lyrics "[It's difficult to express love]" gave a feeling of a girl's lovely secret.

But now, it feels like something obsessive. It's not just that. Lyrics like "[I'm not a child]" or "[Am I weird]" all seem strange.

Seeing Jin Sohyang's confusion, Yoon Hajoon explains, "The theme of the arrangement I made for 'Rough' is obsession. It's not a shy girl's love but a very sticky kind of love. It's not about worrying because of age. It's about wanting you, claiming you as mine no matter what. That's the idea."

"...It's a bit scary."

"In fact, I emphasized that part in the song. I used the violin to create tension. The part with repeated lyrics in the middle is the dance section."