Chapter 5 Part 2

EP5 - In Between (2)

There's a singer named Choi Yoonhyun. He's famous not for his singing but for his concerts. He's not just famous for his live performances. He's amazing in showmanship, stage manners, and stage direction, all of which he personally designs.

He projects dazzling visuals onto a thin, translucent curtain and sings behind it. Just watching him sing behind that transparent curtain with the vibrant visuals is thrilling.

And now, I'm planning to use that thin curtain and projector. Not to create flashy visuals though.

Using a tent and a projector is already a well-known method used by Choi Yoonhyun. Obviously, trying to imitate it won't earn me good reviews.

When I applied for the props of a tent and a projector for the performance practice, Teacher Ha Hyoju looked at me with a worried expression.

So, I'm planning to use "natural scenery."

To be more specific, a scene of heavy rain.

If Sooyeon's voice is like a damp dawn with a gentle drizzle, Han Goyo's voice is like a fierce downpour.

So, I inserted the sound of heavy rain at the beginning of "Fault." But that's not all. The atmosphere emanating from Han Goyo is anxious, precarious, and at the same time, mysterious.

What stage device can enhance this mystery?

There's no need to ask.

Dry ice smoke is the best.

Han Goyo stands on a stage filled with dry ice smoke. And the strong rain pouring onto the thin tent reflects Han Goyo's figure. The lighting is kept as dark as possible, with spotlights in blue.

"······Is it too gloomy?"

But there's no choice.

"Fault" is originally a melancholic song.

To be more precise, it was originally a pathetic song, but I rearranged it into a melancholic one for Han Goyo. I hang the tent in the practice room and project the visuals.

Then, I ask Han Goyo, "How is it?"

"What's up?"

"I'm going to sing from behind there, is that okay?"

"It's fine."

Han Goyo nods and goes behind the curtain. I look at him through the borrowed camera. Really, he's just got the looks for it.

"Isn't this cheating?"

Kim Taeyoung grumbles next to me, watching it.

Cheating is just Han Goyo's existence itself.

"Don't you practice?"

"I've done everything I need to."

"Don't you work with other people?"

"I didn't find any songs that appealed to me."

After saying that, Kim Taeyoung scrutinizes Han Goyo. Han Goyo is practicing with the very simple gestures I taught him.

Surely, he can manage that much, right?

As I anxiously watch Han Goyo, Taeyoung speaks.

"That's the method Choi Yoonhyun senior used, right?"

"Right."

"It's interesting how you can use it like that. Hmm, maybe I'll try it next time too?"

"Sure, go ahead."