Chapter 19 Part 9

EP19 - Two Strong-Willed Geniuses (9)

"A painting?"

What Seo Chae-rim showed was a picture.

More accurately, it was a photo of a painting.

A black background, dots depicted in red, and in the center, a man. A conductor waving a baton.

His posture is upright, but for some reason, there's a sense of arrogance. Amidst that, his face is painted black, yet somehow, only his lips are white, as if he's smiling.

Hmm, I let out a grunt as I look at the painting.

There's something peculiarly majestic and crazed about the painting.

And come to think of it, why does the painting seem familiar?

It's not about the style or the technique.

I've said it before, but I'm as ignorant about paintings as they come. It's impossible to guess who the artist is just by looking at the style.

So when I say the painting looks familiar, I'm talking about the person depicted in the painting. Even though you can't really see the face or anything properly.

It feels like I've seen that person somewhere.

"Who painted this?"

"My sister did."

"Hmm."

So Seo Chae-rim has a sister. And now that I think about it, I remember hearing her chatting with her sister during a phone call.

"So, you wanted to show me this?"

"Yeah."

"...Why?"

Was she expecting some sort of feedback? Or is it a brag about how good her sister is at painting? Even to me, someone who knows nothing about art, it's clear that it's a well-done painting.

But is Seo Chae-rim just trying to boast about her sister to me? No, that's not like Seo Chae-rim. She doesn't say unnecessary things unless it benefits the company or aligns with her plans.

Most of the time, the contacts I receive from Seo Chae-rim are about discussing upcoming activities.

At my words, Seo Chae-rim lets out a sigh and scratches her head.

"Don't you find this picture familiar?"

"Yes, kind of. The person in the picture feels familiar."

"That's you."

"Excuse me?"

"Your sister said you were the model for this."

For a moment, I blink in confusion at Seo Chae-rim's words.

This person depicted here is me?

I take the phone from Seo Chae-rim and zoom in on the picture. Hmm, I still can't quite tell. In the first place, this picture doesn't show any facial expressions.

All I see is what seems like a torn smile at the corner of the lips.

So, it's impossible to tell who it is.

What felt familiar to me was perhaps the figure.

But could the model really be me?

"Why did your sister paint me?"

"I don't know. No one knows what's going on in her head."

Seo Chae-rim lets out a shallow sigh. It seems her sister is a complicated person for her. But that doesn't necessarily mean they have a bad relationship.