Chapter 12 Part 4

EP12 - Festival (4)

"Why?"

To my question, Han-go didn't offer any response. They just continued to look at me. I furrowed my brows at that sight. It's understandable that they wouldn't like the atmosphere of the song.

If it doesn't match their taste, it's natural not to like it. But saying they don't like Su-yeon's performance? That was incomprehensible to me.

"What don't you like about Su-yeon?"

I'm not trying to criticize.

I'm genuinely curious.

Han-go still looked at me. Without saying a word. They sipped their coffee. Time passed. The awkward silence persisted, different from the silence moments ago.

How much time had passed?

Finally, Han-go spoke up.

"She's possessive."

"Possessive?"

"Even though she has everything, the fact that she wants what I have is possessive."

"??"

I couldn't grasp it at all. Su-yeon had everything? From Han-go's perspective, who doesn't know Su-yeon's past life, it might seem that way.

Even though Han-go didn't say it explicitly, there's clearly some backstory to it. You can tell from the way she speaks. And from that perspective, Su-yeon's life might seem affluent.

Riches and poverty are always relative. Yeah, I get that. What I don't understand is the latter. Su-yeon wanting to take something from Han-go.

"What is it?"

"You'll figure it out."

With that, Han-go stood up.

Then, looking at me,

"See you on stage."

With that said, they left the café.

I watch Han-go's retreating figure as they leave the café. "You'll figure it out," they said. It's probably not just empty talk. I finish the remaining coffee.

What did Han-go see in Su-yeon's rehearsal? Before leaving the café, I recall Han-go's gaze directed at me.

The eyes, moist and trembling, unlike anything I've seen before.

Somehow, the coffee I'm drinking now tastes unbearably bitter.

§ § §

"I wish the stage would start soon."

At 4:20, Yoon Su-yeon, who had arrived at Seolwon High School and finished preparing, spoke to her brother, Yoon Ha-jun. Ha-jun nods in response.

"Yeah."

There are 40 minutes left until the stage starts. Ha-jun looks at Su-yeon, wondering if there's anything he missed. Su-yeon is dressed very casually.

A loose hoodie that's 2-3 sizes bigger than Su-yeon's size. Comfortable shorts that seem like something you'd wear at home. She's wearing vintage-style sneakers with a sporty feel.

"Is this outfit really okay?"

"Yeah. I said it's an overall comfortable concept."

"But I still want to do my makeup a bit darker."

"That's enough."

Su-yeon purses her lips at Ha-jun's words. She honestly wants to look as pretty as possible for her first performance.