Chapter 15 Part 3

EP15 - mm. (3)

"It's gentle."

The first thought that came to mind upon hearing Yoon Hajun's performance was precisely that. Gentle. There is no variety of changes in the development of the song.

No, it's not just that; there's also no highlight part. Naturally, there is no buildup for the highlight either.

It starts gently and ends gently.

But that doesn't mean there's nothing to feel.

This song is like drizzling rain.

Just like not realizing your clothes are getting wet in the drizzle, listening to the song, I unknowingly fall into sadness. It's about getting lost in the faint sadness hidden in the gentle performance.

Ha Hyoju let out a hmm, with a nasal tone.

Really, it's interesting.

Sometimes showing the appearance of a seasoned composer beyond his age, and sometimes attempting various artistic endeavors. And now, he's showing the appearance suitable for his age. Smiles appeared on the teachers' faces. Even though I shouldn't be thinking like this when listening to a song reflecting a student's worries, but really.

It's endearing.

And admirable.

Finishing the performance, Yoon Hajun looks puzzled by the teachers' expressions. No, why are the teachers' expressions like that?

Did I play it wrong? This song is meant to evoke immersion and empathy towards sadness or worries when listened to. I designed it that way from the beginning.

So why are the teachers laughing?

At that moment, Department Head Isanggyu spoke in a relaxed tone.

"Shall we listen to the song?"

"Yes, I'll play it."

Quickly, Ha Hyoju played the song Yoon Hajun submitted on her laptop. The song flowed from the speakers installed in the exam room.

A melody composed only with the piano, without any other instruments.

At first listen, it's closer to instrumental music than a pop song.

As the performance progresses, other sounds start to interject. These are not sounds of other instruments. They are sounds coming from everyday objects often used by Yoon Hajun.

The sound of a pencil, which was also used in "Recipient Unknown." The sound of a pencil scribbling on paper can be heard. But within this sound of the pencil, a melody can be felt.

The rustling sound of turning pages.

The scratching sound of the pencil.

As if contemplating something, the sound of tapping on a desk.

The sound of the pencil continuing to write.

And the sound of erasing it.

These sounds repeat and blend into the piano performance.

"Truly. Excellent."

Department Head Isanggyu closed his eyes completely. Forget evaluations or whatever, he just wants to focus on this song now. Like the sound of rain tapping on a window, this song evokes emotions in people.

It's the kind of worries young people have. The design is very skillful on such topics. It's not just gentle; it's varied with the paper, pencil, and tapping sounds.