Chapter 9 Part 1

EP9 - Giant Killing (1)

The vacation has begun.

But I still have to go to school every morning. It's because I have to practice the band and concert at school. The third graders, who are the main members of the band and concert, practice in the small concert hall, while the first graders preparing for the opening stage practice in the practice rooms.

"Tedious."

Muttering, I gaze out the window. The rainy season hasn't ended yet. I turn on the dehumidifier as I watch the rain pouring down.

I can't stand the peculiar smell of rainy days. But when will Jin Sohyang come? I check the time on my phone. It's currently 10:21 AM.

We agreed to meet by 10:30, so it's not late yet. I sit down and turn on my laptop. Then I go on YouTube to search for Jin Sohyang's performances.

Hmm, there are too many videos? Is she quite popular as an idol? I don't have time to watch all of this. After a moment of contemplation, I sort them by views and watch the videos with the highest views.

As I watch several videos, Jin Sohyang arrives at the practice room. It's 10:29 AM. She came right on time. I turn off the screen of the video I was watching and get up from my seat.

"Sorry. It was raining heavily, so there was a lot of traffic... Did you wait long?"

"No, not really."

Actually, I only waited for about 10 minutes, so it wasn't long. Jin Sohyang sighs as if relieved by my words.

I observe Jin Sohyang. She's wearing ordinary training clothes. Maybe because it's summer, they're somewhat light, but they still look very comfortable.

If she had come all dressed up, what would I have said? Is she a pro or something? Jin Sohyang changes into the indoor shoes she brought and then speaks to me.

"So, where should we start?"

"First, let's have a meeting."

"A meeting?"

"We need to decide on the stage concept."

"Ah."

Jin Sohyang nods and sits down facing me. After replaying the laptop screen that I had turned off earlier, I speak to Jin Sohyang.

"You understand, right? The opening stage happens immediately after Han Goyo's stage. So, you'll have to go on stage right after Han Goyo's performance ends, about 5 minutes later."

"I know."

"And naturally, there will be comparisons."

Jin Sohyang nods, furrowing her brow as if questioning why I would mention that.

No, it's not like I'm trying to reveal some cruel reality or anything like that.

"So, we need to prepare a completely different stage from Han Goyo."

"A completely different stage?"

"Han Goyo will definitely challenge with a hundred percent ballads. Because the genre that can maximize Han Goyo's strengths is undoubtedly ballads."

Even EDM composers, when they listen to Han Goyo's songs, would end up writing ballads. That's how optimized Han Goyo's voice is for ballads.

"Obviously, the stage will be as static as possible. Standing still and singing without any dancing or such. The staging would, at most, include some wind machines or dry ice."

"Will it really be like that? We could still incorporate some dancing or something."

"No, there's absolutely no chance of that happening."