Chapter 64: Cup of China

Yuuri wiped his eyes using the sleeves of his tracksuit. My hands remained on his shoulders and my eyes remained on him as I wait for him to finish.

"Yuuri," I called but his gaze remained on the floor. "Yuuri, look at me," I placed my hands on his cheeks and slowly tilted his head to meet my eyes.

"Whatever Victor said, that's not true, okay? Never once did we think of quitting since the moment we came to Japan. I'm sorry, Yuuri, we're sorry if we weren't the best coaches, this is both our first time," I stopped for a second to wipe the tear that fell from my eyes.

"Please don't speak any further," Yuuri apologized. "I'm sorry."

"Yuuri, no," I shook my head and held his hands. "Whatever happened today, don't blame it all to yourself, okay? Victor and I also took part in this. Please don't think that you are a burden to us. You're not, okay? You are the greatest student I ever had, and you're special."

Yuuri sniffed and gave a small nod. I placed my hand on his shoulder as the two of us began to walk back upstairs. I took a glance at Victor behind to make sure that he is following. He is and he is looking down at his feet.

We've reached the lounge and there is no doubt that everyone is staring at the three of us. Yuuri and Victor's eyes were looking on the floor. I tried my best to keep my chin up and to show the people that they should be keeping their noses to themselves.

We've reached the side of the rink just as Georgi's program is about to end. Half of me wished I would've seen Georgi but the mixed feeling of guilt and sadness took over.

My arms, and Victor's, were placed over the wall of the rink to help us lean forward. "I should have asked Yakov what to do as a coach in situations like this," Victor said as his gaze turned sidewards to Yakov who is sitting in the kiss and cry.

I sighed and looked back at the rink. Yuuri is now making his way towards us. I have the Makkachin tissue holder in my hands. I offered Yuuri tissues and he gladly took some and used it to blow his nose. Victor and I stared at him, waiting for what would happen next.

Victor held his hand out for Yuuri's tissues. Instead of putting the tissues on Victor's open hand, Yuuri dropped it in front of it which made Victor lean forward to catch it. Yuuri took this opportunity to poke on Victor's scalp just like he did back then during that one practice.

He then turned to me and opened his arms, engulfing me in a hug. I gladly hugged back and whispered a few words.

Yuuri gave a nod before letting go and skating towards the center. "We now have our last skater on the ice, Katsuki Yuuri from Japan, in first place after the short program."

"We still have a long way to go as a coach, Victor," I said. I gave out a sigh and held his hand. I sure feel tired right now. The sleepiness began to seep in my system the moment the aura became dull. Also because I cried, probably.

"His music is 'Yuuri on Ice.'" The host said and the music immediately began, so did Yuuri.

"How are you feeling right now, Yuuri?," I thought. People tend to feel a lot better after crying. I hope Yuuri feels better too. The corner of Yuuri's lips ever so slowly curved up into a small smile. It enlightened my heart a bit, and I hold onto the hope that he is okay.

"Say, Yuuri, have you cried before a match before? I had." It was the first competition I had as an individual skater. It hurt to look at the rink and skate on it for the first time without Victor, in front of thousands of people. I can still remember how it felt back then.

It was heartbreaking skating on the ice without a pair of hands on my waist, holding me steady. It was melancholic to do a jump without his hands helping me land. It was sad to hear the roars of the audience without looking into his eyes and returning his big smile.

That moment filled my heart with sadness and longing, but that moment became my bridge to getting the gold in most competitions, and it was my way to getting closer to him again.

The first jump is a quadruple toe loop, double toe loop combination. Yuuri nailed it and it was followed by cheers. I smiled and removed my hand from Victor's to link my arm with his as we both rejoice over Yuuri.

I glanced up at Victor and back at Yuuri. "Who would've known we'll get to this point. We've been through a lot, Victor, didn't we?"

"His first quad was a success. In this free skate, Katsuki Yuuri plans to do three quads of two different types."

Yuuri is unusually relaxed today. Maybe he does feel better after crying. I'm sorry, Yuuri. Victor and I are both inexperienced as coaches. We weren't able to prepare and maybe we're mere fools who follow whatever our hearts say without thinking about it. If that's the case, then we would gladly follow it again and again without thinking, because that is what led us to you.

"A quadruple Salchow." It was perfect. As if reading my mind Victor said, "Perfect, Yuuri!"

"His theme for this season is 'love.'"

My mind played back what Yuuri said during the press conference, "Now that I know what love is and am stronger for it, I'll prove it to myself with a Grand Prix Final gold medal!" His words echo in my mind.

Yuuri did a beautiful triple toe loop. The cheers from everyone proves it. Yuuri skates past Victor and me with his hands raised and his chin up. The air is gently pushing back the strands of hair that went loose.

"Next is one of his favorites, the triple axel... Oops, he touched down!" But nevertheless, he received a round of applause. "He just messed up the speed of the jump," I said. "It went pretty well, despite not doing it during the warm-up."

Next, a triple flip... wonderful! "Coming next is a triple axel, single loop, triple Salchow combination"

Yuuri over-rotated the Salchow. "Come on, Yuuri, you can do this!" After that combination, I hope Yuuri doesn't feel so tired right now. I can recall that he wasn't able to sleep well last night.

"A triple Lutz, triple toe loop combination," the host said as Yuuri was able to do them perfectly. My jaw dropped because even in the second half, Yuuri doesn't show any sign of fatigue.

"Moving on to the step sequence..." Yuuri, I know you want to become stronger, and you will be! You've been surpassing our imaginations and I know you will continue to!

What a wonderful step sequence that is! So captivating, so mesmerizing! The last jump is a quadruple toe loop. I watch in silence waiting for it.

Just as Yuuri jumped up in the air, my heart began beating fast. I watch in anticipation as I hoped for him to be able to land it. He fell, but adrenaline rushed through my veins! He got enough rotations in it! "A quadruple flip!" I said, surprise evident in my voice. I turned to Victor and tugged on his sleeves, "Victor did you see that?!"

I still couldn't believe what I saw! Victor's mouth was opened wide in shock like mine. It was a quadruple flip at the end of a program! Wonderful! Even I wouldn't attempt that!

"The quadruple flip was a signature move of Victor Nikiforov, his coach. Not even Nikiforov ever did a jump this difficult at the end of a program, when fatigue would be at its peak!

Yesterday, the program with the highest technical difficulty that was only done by one of his coaches, (y/n) (l/n), and now, his other coach's signature move, the quadruple flip!

Here's the man who continues to go beyond our expectations, Katsuki Yuuri!"

Cheers have erupted from all around the place as Yuuri slowed down to his last pose where his hand is pointing in our direction. The tears found their way back down my cheeks. I smiled and wiped them with the sleeves of your blouse. Man, I have cried a lot today, haven't I?