Chapter 74: The Great Pause

***

Victor and I were back at my house before we knew it. Dominik and my parents, including Sandra were all waiting for me at the front porch of our house. The car stopped in front of our house. Victor got out before me and I followed after him. "It's (y/n)!" Sandra exclaimed. I smiled at the four of them as Victor and I walked towards them.

The family congratulated me and showered me with a lot of affection. We immediately went into the dining room to eat and celebrate. After doing so, Victor and I went to my bedroom to discuss some things. My room is located here on the first floor together with Dominik's. Dominik's room and mine are of the same size. It's small but it's really spacious, I've seen rooms smaller than this before. 

Once we were inside, I hopped on my bed and sat on the edge with my feet dangling off the bed. Victor sat beside me. "I have some matters to discuss with you," I said.

"That is?" Victor asked.

"During my program earlier..." I began. "After the quadruple axel, there was a sharp pain that went from my right ankle up to my knees." I looked at Victor and his eyes immediately switched from happy to worried.

"What?!" He asked in disbelief. "A-are you okay now? Does it still hurt?"

"It still does but it's bearable and I can still walk."

"We'll have that checked up by your doctor tomorrow."

***

Victor and I sat in the clinic as we waited for my doctor to interpret the x-ray results. His arm is wrapped around me, caressing my shoulder. Victor's worry is evident in the atmosphere. "I'm sure it isn't that bad. I mean, I've been through worse," I said to break the silence. and to also soothe Victor's worry.

"Still, we'll do what the doctor would instruct you to do," he replied. I have this feeling that if things are worse, Victor is going to convince me to stop skating. Not long after, the doctor came into the room with the results.

Victor leaned forward on his seat and listened as the doctor explained what happened. "There appear to be some broken ligaments on your ankle although they aren't as severe as the one you had seven years ago. Although you were able to put your left foot down in time before you lost balance and completely twist your ankle, the sheer pressure of your landing from the quad axel was enough to tear up some ligaments." the doctor said.

"What do you instruct her to do?" Victor asked.

"Rest. It doesn't require surgical operations. I will give the remedies to the pain later although it would last must longer because of her history of severe injury on that part," the doctor answered. "And (y/n)," he called. I looked at him as he called my name. "Please, refrain from doing more dangerous jumps that would put your ankle at risk. You're lucky you were able to balance yourself yesterday or else history would repeat itself, if not much worse."

***

"(Y/n), please!" Victor begged as he buried his face on my lap. We are in my room. I am sitting on the bed while Victor is kneeling in front of me with his head placed on my lap.

Tears flowed down my eyes and I can feel my lap get wet from Victor's tears too. I love figure skating but I love Victor too. "I just... I can't risk losing you one more time," he said in between sobs. "I... I might go crazy if that happens again."

I realized that I wasn't the only one devastated that time, seven years ago when the accident happened. My parents are too. If my parents find out about this, they too will ask me to stop. And so is Sandra. Even after years have passed, I know that Dominik still has regrets at the back of his mind. I know that there are days he still blames himself for the tragedy that has happened. And most of all, Victor. It shook him to the core.

***

"After being the first-ever female skater to achieve the quadruple axel, Grand Prix gold medalist (Y/n) (L/n) later on announced that she would take a break from skating."

"World famous figure skater (Y/n) (L/n) does not give answers to her fans asking when she will return back into skating."

*End of flashback...

It was indeed a blessing in disguise that I quit. Although it was my passion, it held me in a small circle and I was not able to do what a normal person could. It gave me little to no time for my family and other loved ones. 

Skating gave me so much and it opened me into the world but sometimes, it is also what's holding me back from exploring it. I may have quit competing but I never stopped skating. I was able to have the opportunity to teach, to share the wonders of skating to others; from the young kids at St. Petersburg and Moscow to Yuuri Katsuki.

And now, one program. One program would once again change the course of my life. Whatever decision I make in the end, there is one thing I'm sure of: skating will always lead me to something better.

"Whatever decision you make," Victor said. "I will always be there for you. I won't ever leave you again." I smiled at Victor's words. It's nice knowing that I have him by my side.

Victor made the difficult times so much better to handle, so much easier to accept, and so much easier to get through. He let me be vulnerable and honest without judging me. He reassures me that he'll always be there when I need him and that I'll always have another home to depend on when times get rough.

He is the light in my darkest days because that's what I remember when I look back on the most difficult days, I remember him. the person I'm grateful for, the person who chose to stick around and go to extra mile even though he had other priorities. He reminds me that if things go wrong, I still have one thing that's right; his love. He showed me that true love will always stand the test of time.

"Thank you. I love you so much," I replied.

"I love you a hundred times more," Victor said.

We both were pulled back into the present reality when Amaya placed the sashimi plate on our table. We thanked her before digging into our chosen appetizer. Not long after, the main dishes were served. Like always, we didn't realize we were hungry until the food is served in front of us waiting to be eaten.