Chapter 84: Beyond Limits

I wasn't listening to the commentating and wasn't paying much attention to the TV but the chants of Yuri's name were so loud that even without the television in this room, I'd hear it from the rink pulled me into gluing my eyes on the screen. 

"Here on his home turf, we have Yuri Plisetsky, age 15, in third place after the short program. Just listen to those cheers!"

Right, this is Yuri's senior debut. I wonder what he has in store and if my guess was correct, how did he change his combinations? My eyes focus on the figure of Yuri shown on the screen. He is intriguing right at this very moment before his program even begins.

The music started playing and my ears were met with mischievous notes. "Allegro Appassionato, B minor," I thought. It felt like Charles Camille Saint-Saëns himself created this piece long ago solely for Yuri's performance today. The playful notes at the very beginning are like a foreshadowing of the wonder I am about to see.

This piece is well-known for its difficulty and heart-pounding intensity. That explains why my hands feel sweaty at the moment and I am itching to be fascinated with Yuri's performance today. Why am I feeling this way? My heart is gradually beating faster as I watch him. 

Here come the first two quads of his program. He jumped lifting himself and landing the first one in full confidence. I'd be lying if I said that my heart didn't jump along with Yuri as he lifted off. 

The next one is a triple axel from a spiral

The next one is a triple axel from a spiral.  His spiral had a beautiful form and it's proof that Yuri's flexibility is undeniably amazing. Before I could move on from the spiral, Yuri immediately took off for the axel. Once again, it got my heart beating loud in its cage. The jump was so high I couldn't help but cover my mouth in a gasp as I watch. He was able to land it; clean with no room for mistakes.

I felt Yuuri's glance from beside me. Oh no, what could he be thinking? He might think that I'm too enthralled at Yuri's performance to focus on his. I immediately cleared my throat and lowered my hands down to my skirt to wipe off the sweat. Yuuri then looked away and carried on his stretches.

I had my eyes back on the screen. I remembered one of Lilia's reminders back during the days I was being coached by Yakov. From time to time, she'll visit the rink and help me especially when the Grand Prix season is right around the corner. I remember her telling me to always dance with beauty. Beauty is a crushing force of righteousness. Strength means nothing without beauty. I kept those words in my mind and reminded myself of it every time I step foot on the rink.

"A hellish step sequence without even time for a breath," Yuuri spoke. "How is he so calm?" Yuuri had his eyes on the screen the whole time he's stretching. He's been like that since Emil's performance until now, carefully observing his competitors. 

I took a deep breath before answering. "It seems that he is too psyched up today," I replied. Yuuri's voice gave my heart a calming sensation as I felt its beats slowing back to normal.

The audience began to applause signaling the start of the second half. As fast as my heart began to calm down, it's once again picking up its pace. He only had two jumps on the first half which means, "He's putting six jumps in the second half?" I mentally asked. 

I knew it! he probably had three or four jumps in the first half but he only did two, moving the rest on to the second half to have six jumps by then. Now that is difficult; risky indeed. Sound like something I would do.

Yuri is mostly known for his flexibility and great jumps but I'm not so sure about his stamina. He's probably tired by now and yet he still has six more jumps. I wonder how he's going to hold up. His first jump in the second half was a triple Lutz. 

In the short moment given before he does his second jump, I made some analyzation: Yuuri has three quads, and JJ probably has four. This is mostly why Yuri changed his combinations to secure a place in the Grand Prix.

His triple Lutz was followed by a triple flip and a quadruple toe loop. "Here's a choreographic sequence," the commentator said, but before I find myself getting captivated deeper into Yuri's performance than I am now, I shook my head and turned to Yuuri. "Let's go," I said. He gave a nod and we immediately exited the room, making our way towards the rink. I have far more important things to attend to than be too enthralled by Yuri's performance.

As we were walking down the hallway towards the rink, the audience's cheers rang through the walls but I was successful in not letting myself get distracted. Not long after, we've arrived at the rink just in time for Yuri's last jump combination. 

"Is this the real Yurio?" Yuuri asked. I looked at him and saw that his eyes were a little wide in surprise but he isn't intimidated nor worried. He looks a lot calmer than in his previous competitions. 

We watched Yuri's final jumps: a triple axel, a single loop, and a triple Salchow. He was able to land them all. At the corner of my eyes, I could see Lilia tearing up and Yakov gently patting her back. She sure is very proud of Yuri. 

At times before, back when I was skating, there were also several times I've seen Lilia cry during my performances. Back then I didn't understand why my program brought her to tears. But now that I am a coach of a very wonderful skater, I finally understand why.

"At the Rostelecom Cup if the Grand Prix Series, his senior debut, he's brushed off the pressure and responded to his local fans, delivering a sublime program!" With that said, Yuri's performance came to an end, erupting a thousand screams from the audience. 

Yuri was not able to hold his final pose much longer as he fell on his knees. Both if his hands were placed on the ice, supporting him as he catches his breath. His back was rapidly heaving up and down as he tries to control his breathing.

"A performance beyond his limits," Yuuri spoke. "That must've been what it was."