Chapter 100: 3+ GOE

Tension reigned by the back passage as we made our way towards the rink. All six skaters together with their coaches all have their heads held high as they venture through the small hallway. The three of us walked behind the rest. Save the best for last, I may say.

Everything is ready. The skaters look thoroughly prepared. Even the other coaches look well, too. Of course, I wouldn't let myself get left behind. Both Victor and I were wearing formal. I wore a lacy white cami tucked in a black pencil skirt and covered by a black blazer. My black T-strap heels tapped on the floor synchronized with the skaters' blade guards.

"The Grand Prix Final is here in Barcelona, Spain!" The moment we got out into the light, I immediately felt the excitement as the whole arena roared in cheers. "Tonight, it's Men's Singles Short Program."

***

The event order goes as follows: Japan, Thailand, Russia, Switzerland, Kazakhstan, and Canada. Since Yuuri is to perform first, he didn't get off the rink after the official warm-up ended. I handed him his tumbler the moment he arrived in front of us. 

As the other skaters walked past behind us, I felt the glare of a certain blonde on us. Yet I chose to ignore him. Yuuri needs my attention now more than ever. "And now, Katsuki Yuuri is the last skater to remain on the ice."

After a good drink, Yuuri placed his elbows on the rink's edge and leaned forward. His eyes were closed and his head was tilted slightly downwards. "Yuuri," I called. He immediately stood straight, "Yes?" 

I carefully removed the ring from my finger before gently taking Yuuri's hand. "(Y/n)," he said as he looked at my actions. I slid the ring to Yuuri's index finger. He gasped. I clasped his hand in between mine. "It's not much but I want you to hold on to this today and tomorrow," I said. "Let it be your lucky charm."

Victor who stood behind me did the same. He clasped my hands as I held Yuuri's. I gently brought it closer to my face and pressed my lips on top of Yuuri's hand as I whispered a silent prayer audible only to the three of us.

"His coaches are empowering the ring (y/n) lent him for good luck in a prayer for victory," the commentator spoke.

Unbeknownst to us, somewhere in the distant audiences, Sala pondered as she watched us. "Could that ring be..." She muttered.

"...the ring we were all waiting for?" Michele continued.

Emil drowned out their voices as he cheered for Yuuri, "Yuuri, good luck!"

As I whispered the last words of my prayer, I looked at Yuuri with glossy eyes. "Yuuri," I said. "Show me the skating you can honestly say you liked best." Victor and I smiled before we let go of Yuuri's hand. He looked at us as his lips mirrored our smile. "I'm off!" he said before making his way to the center of the rink.

"He's greeted by a roaring crowd as he takes the ice. Katsuki Yuuri of Japan," the commentator said. "One year after he finished the Final in last place, Katsuki Yuuri is about to start his last program."

Victor and I stayed where we were. This time, his arms were wrapped around me once again, the same way earlier this morning, and his head rested on top of mine. 

The playful first notes of Eros resonated through the whole stadium. "He is skating to On Love: Eros." Yuuri looked at us with furrowed eyebrows and so, the music began to increase the pace.

"So, Oda-san, he's supposedly changed his jump composition in this program."

"Yes, after the Rostelecom Cup, it was changed for even higher marks."

"Ohh," I hummed as the commentator's conversed. "You didn't tell me that." Victor's arm wrapped a little tighter. "We both know you want to be surprised by Yuuri," he replied. "Just as much as you surprise the world."

"Even if he tops his personal best again, he can't beat JJ," Victor continued. "JJ's program has 5.22 points on mine in the jumps' base value alone. Once during practice, he told me he wants to change the jump to a quad flip in this short program."

"He barely even landed that jump cleanly in practice," I said. Reminiscing the last time I won the Grand Prix, I only ever landed the jump that secured me gold twice in practice yet I was able to land it during the actual competition. Yuuri can do it too.

"He insisted that he still have time to improve the execution. Finding out how far he can push his limits to win will motivate him to the Final," Victor replied. "He told me, 'Wouldn't (y/n) love to see me land a quadruple flip with a 3+ GOE?' Of course, I know you'd love to see that, and so do I."

Delight ran through my system the moment I heard it. A smile crept up my face as I continued to watch Yuuri. "Since then, he focused practice time on the quadruple flip, but his success rate is still low. He decided to go for it, though," Victor added.

Yuuri doesn't doubt his decisions anymore. And yet, I feel like my own heart is about to explode. Just then, Yuuri nailed a triple axel. Victor and I both gasped. I held my fist up in front of my chest to control the thrill. Victor removed his arm from around me and nestled his hand on both sides of my hips to give me more space to move.

"That jump has a difficult entry, so it will get higher marks!" I said, excitement leaking out of my words.

"Next is a quadruple jump combination..." said the commentator. "Quadruple Salchow, triple toe loop."

"Yes!" Victor and I both exclaimed as Yuuri was able to execute it just fine. "Another success!"

Excitement courses through the body, down to the toes, and is released! "Now, the highly anticipated quadruple flip." Yuuri skated with just enough and the right speed.

My knees bent down in anticipation as I took one of Victor's hand and clasped it tightly. "Good just use that speed too..." I said. I didn't have any moment to take my eyes off Yuuri as soon as he lifted. Before my eyes, time seemed to have slowed down. "1... 2... 3..." I counted the rotations in my mind. "...4!" Yuuri landed down, one hand on the ice.

Still, he did it! I squealed and jumped in place, joy overflowing inside me. I jumped too much to the point that Victor couldn't hold me in place. He took his hands off my hips and allowed me to jump up and down to my heart's content.

"That spin received a level four rating again this season," the commentator broke in. Still, the sit spin that followed is so beautiful. A few more skates and Yuuri came to a stop. My cheers blended in with the crowds.

As I was happy even if Yuuri landed the quad flip with one hand on the ice, that doesn't seem the case for Victor. Neither for Yuuri. My smile faded as I glanced up at Victor to see not a single hint of a smile visible on his lips. I slowly looked towards Yuuri. He was kneeling on the ice. Soon after, he bent forward, fists clenched hard on either side of his head.

It was at that moment that my heart dropped. "When I approached every program like a new beginning, I could always surprise everyone," Victor spoke. I glanced over at Victor with worry filling my eyes. "But that also held me back... 'I can only find new strength on my own,' that's what I always thought."