Chapter 81: Real Agape

***

We've arrived a bit early at the Moscow Small Sports Arena. Only the figure skaters are there with their coaches and other skating personnel as well as the media reporters.

Each skater stood on their chosen places in the lobby preparing for the competition. I actually take back what I've said earlier. We weren't as early as I think were because all of the other skaters are already here. They are doing stretches as a cameraman is recording and a reporter is speaking.

I think they plan on taking close-ups of each skater and they will be here with us in no time. The three of us were chatting when we heard a man say "...And finally, Japan's Katsuki Yuuri, who placed second in the Cup of China. He'll be skating in the final group."

In the midst of Victor's sermon, Yuuri turned around to look. While Victor didn't bother looking, I gave a glance at the camera before looking away.

The loud ringtone like sound of the PA system rang through the lobby catching everyone's attention and putting an end to their chitter-chatter. "Paging skaters assigned in the first group, please go to the rink area now, please," a woman's voice said. The statement was repeated one more time before Seung Gil, Emil, and Michele made their ways inside. Yuri and JJ were left here with us.

We walked closer to the others near the curtains that lead to the innermost part of the arena. Although near each other, there was a good distance between the skaters. Victor, Yuuri and I stood next to the wall as the first program began.

The place reeks of silence and the only noise that can be heard is the loud music from outside that manages to make its way here and the cheers of the crowd.

There isn't much to talk about anyway. Victor and I had finished giving Yuuri his final instructions and we're all just waiting for his turn.

Seung Gil, who performed first was done and Emil is now on the ice. Not long after stepping into the ice, there was a notable roar from the audience.

"Did you all hear that?" A voice I am not very fond of reached me. There was a hint of a frown on Victor's face, too. "Emil landed a quadruple loop, too. Applause!" A set of soft claps followed after.

I turned my head to the direction of JJ. "Huh?" Yuuri said as he turned around to face JJ. He removed his earbuds and said, "Oh, sorry. I didn't catch that."

"Victor did the same jump at last year's exhibition," JJ said as he walked past Yuuri towards Victor who was standing beside me. Since JJ is taller, he lowered his head and leaned closer to Victor. "I want to see that again!"

"I don't recall," Victor said, unfazed by what JJ is doing. I cleared my throat and stood in between them. "Don't you think it's time to get outside? Michele, the last performer of the first group is about to begin," I said walking forward, leaving the boys behind. I feel Yuuri and Victor's presence following me.

I placed my hand on Yuuri's shoulder as we walked towards the innermost area of the arena. Once we're in, the place is packed with people; all the seats are taken. It makes me wonder where in that crowd could my family be.

In the midst of Michele's performance, Victor and I were helping Yuuri prepare. I removed Yuuri's tracksuit and Victor kneeled down to tie Yuuri's laces.

At last, Michele's performance had come to an end and Yuuri is now on the ice. "Victor! Victor! Victor!" The crowd's cheers are synchronized with their claps as they chant out Victor's name instead of Yuuri's. What would I expect? Russia's top figure skater is here.

"Katsuki Yuuri won second place in the Cup of China with the power of love. What kind of performance will he give us here?" The commentator spoke amidst the chants if Victor's name.

Victor was smiling and he was happily waving his hands in the air. I gently brushed my fingers along his cheeks, getting his attention, and pulling my hands down to bring his face closer to mine. "The performance has already begun, Victor," I said.

It took a short moment before Victor answered, "You're right." He pulled his head away and stood straight to look at Yuuri.

Disregarding the rhythmic claps of the audience, Yuuri spoke, "Don't worry. I'll show my love to the whole of Russia." With that said, he quickly skated towards the center of the rink.

Yuuri left a soft smirk on my lips as he made his way towards the center. He had grown a lot since the first day we were with him. And now we're here; on the battle to advance to the final.

"Good luck," I whispered under my breathe. I hope the crowd doesn't intimidate you, especially now that you're in the enemy territory.

Eros started to play through the speakers. Yuuri began his first hand movements. The moment the music took a short pause, he blew a kiss towards the judges. I can hear their gasps at what Yuuri has done.

"Japan's Katsuki Yuuri, age 23. He's skating to 'On Love: Eros.' He's been beating his short program personal bests since the first event in the series. He'll need to finish fourth or higher to advance to the Grand Prix Final."

If Yuuri loses tonight, this could be the last time he can skate this program with Victor and me by his side as his coaches. Maybe no one in Russia, or even the entire world, wants him to win. He's the only one who can change that world!

"I guess Yuuri is more motivated when he's competing away, where expectations are lower," Victor spoke, placing a finger upon his chin.

I gave a nod, "At any rate, he's in his best form so far." After a series of spins, Yuuri prepares to do his jumps. "His first planned jump is a triple axel from a spread eagle," the commentator said. Right after, Yuuri did the axel. "A triple axel. Very clean!"

Next is a quadruple salchow and he did it perfectly. "Yuuri!" I squealed in joy, leaning over the perimeter of the rink. "Amazing!" Victor said as he clapped his hands. Our voices mix in the applause of the audience.

"A quadruple toe loop, triple toe loop. He nailed the last combination, too!"

Victor and I watched in amazement as Yuuri does his final spins. Eventually, he came to a stop. The roars of the crowd are louder than ever. "Another flawless performance, following his last short program in the Cup of China! The crowd's giving him a standing ovation!"

"Yuuri!" Victor and I said in unison as he raised his high up in the air, and as I hug him from beside. Yuuri stands at the center of the rink, catching his breath. Plushies and bouquets of flowers are being thrown from all sides of the rink. "Yuuri..." Victor said. "That was perfect!"

All of a sudden, Yuri stepped beside us. Victor looked sideward and I turned around to see Yuri dressed in Victor's see-through costume; the one he wore during the Hot Springs on Ice. My jaw dropped at the sight. Yuri's costume sparkles as the lights shine on it. His hair is down and is covering half of his face. He looks like an angel; the most majestic one.

I know that Victor is as surprised as I am to see Yuri dazzling under the lights. By this time, Yuuri has reached the exit of the rink. His eyes widened as he looked at Yuri who's standing in front of him. "Out of my way, pig," Yuri said. He walked past us and into the rink. I am at a loss for words as my eyes followed Yuri.

"Th-this is Yurio's real agape!" Yuuri exclaimed.

"Good!"

"Nice!"

"Great!"

The three of us said in unison as we looked at each other and then towards Yuri in the rink. "Yuratchka! Yuri!" I can hear the dying squeals of his fangirls. He is the next Victor Nikiforov.

As much as I want to stay and watch, Victor, Yuuri, and I headed towards the kiss and cry to wait for the announcement of Yuuri's score. We sat in anticipation and I held Yuuri's hand while Victor's arm is placed around his shoulder.

"109.97!" The commentator said. I squealed in joy and embraced Yuuri very tightly. My lips are curved up into a big smile that probably reached my ears. "You did it, Yuuri!" Victor said as he waved his free arm up in the air.