⋆ if the story's over why am i still writing pages?

DEATH BY A THOUSAND CUTS

"i look through the windows of this love even though we boarded them up

"i look through the windows of this love even though we boarded them up."

Serena felt strange in a Nationals jersey. She couldn't deny MacK and CJ looked pretty fresh in their new threads despite how much they hated them... but she was definitely more of a brown & gold girl.

MacK had only gone two innings until he got pulled, and that was when CJ came to get her. S could tell MacK had been working in the offseason. He looked physically stronger and despite only going two innings his endurance was looking solid. He did allow a couple hits, but nothing serious with no earned runs. Walked one, but came back and ended his inning with a strikeout.

Serena couldn't hide the smile on her face as she followed CJ around the stadium and into one of the staff rooms. They walked through a few tunnels, creating small conversation. CJ could tell Serena was nervous to surprise MacK. He knew they hadn't been in the best position at the moment, but he could never understand how MacK would be mad at her about something as small as their little scuffle. Couples argue all the time.

They reached the back field just in time, as MacK opened the gate with a smile on his face as he waved to the few young children that were cheering loudly for him down the first base line.

Once MacK saw Serena though, he looked sort of confused. He didn't look mad or displeased. But he didn't look happy either.

CJ exhaled, catching a glimpse at Serena whose smile broke after a few seconds as MacK just stared blankly back at her. The last thing he wanted was these two fighting after he agreed to let Serena crash at their airbnb. But that was mainly because he wanted no part in couples drama. He'd had his fair share of that over the years... first hand.

"SURPRISE!" CJ screamed loud enough that even the broadcast could've heard it, slinging his arms over one of Serena's shoulders and the other over MacK's. "S is here, yay!"

"And, now, up to bat... shortstop... #5... CJ Abrams!" The stadium announcer echoed.

"Fck!" CJ yelled, pulling away from Serena and MacK as he sprinted out the gate and back onto the field, his hat blowing off of him in the process... causing the awkward pair to laugh in unison.

Once their uncomfortable laughter fizzled out, they exchanged smiles without words.

"Sorry to show up unannounced. I just thought it would be cool to surprise you, since, y'know... offseason work and all that." Serena finally said.

"Yeah, yeah... I get it. Don't worry about it. I'm glad to see you." MacK responded.

Something about him felt monotone. Serena knew MacK well, and sometimes he tried to be monotone and nonchalant. But this seemed like he was genuinely bored or uninterested in her. It could've just been from his pitching fatigue, since truly no one liked to come out of a game after feeling they didn't do their best.

She didn't know though.

"It's nice out here." Serena continued the small talk, "CJ and I went down near the water last night. I would kill to have a beach in Arizona."

"Yeah it's not too bad. The humidity sucks though." MacK replied, beginning to walk as he motioned Serena to follow. "I'm gonna miss the west coast so much though..." he reminisced.

"I know, and we're all gonna miss you too, MacK." the girl assured. "Your polaroid is still up in the office, y'know?"

"Psh, still haven't gotten my copy though." he laughed, sort of bitterly. "I hate it here." MacK admitted the obvious.

"I know you don't wanna hear it but AJ fought hard to keep you. Even offered up Jake if that meant you stayed." Serena wanted to continue telling him how he needed to work hard, but she knew she'd already reiterated this to him millions of times.

Her and MacK had just reached the end of the yard/back exit that led out to the parking lot which is where she assumed he was parked. He pushed the door open and held it for Serena, to which she hesitantly almost stepped out. However, she didn't think she could continue to hold a conversation with MacK because he wouldn't stop sulking about the Padres and currently was as interesting as a brick wall.

"My rental car is out front, so I should probably go back around and get that. But can you shoot me the address of the airbnb? CJ wouldn't let me stay anywhere else but your place." she chuckled, cleverly dodging an unwanted bullet.

"Yeah, of course," MacK helpfully agreed. "You can come out this way and walk out to the right towards the front lot." he directed her.

"Thanks, I'll see you soon."

republished 6/21/23