midnight rain

MIDNIGHT RAIN

she wanted it comfortable i wanted that pain

Serena, MacK, and CJ ended up spending the night in. Once CJ got home he went straight to his room, leaving MacK and Serena to cook dinner together.

The night went overall pretty well. There wasn't this awkward tension anymore but Serena could still sense the disconnect between her and MacKenzie. She felt out of place being here, and in a way she really wished she decided to go to Arizona or back home instead of Florida.

Serena could admit that the good thing she got out of this was being able to see old friends. Not only did she plan on meeting back up with MacK and CJ, obviously. There were a couple of other people who were around too.

The Hosmers, who spend the offseason here every year, had just recently had a baby and Kacie contacted Serena asking her if she wanted to meet up.

Despite all of the drama with the Hosmer's last year, Serena couldn't hold it against them. There were a lot of lies and false information going around in those months regarding trades and contracts. The worst part of it was that Kacie was already eight months pregnant and here they go having to pack everything up and move across the country to Boston.

Hosmer struggled pretty badly in San Diego. He got older and the team just got better. Serena did her best in trying to help him, but factor in their dumba$$ hitting coach... his confidence just wouldn't go up. Once all the errors got really out of hand she unfortunately had to take part in giving AJ the green light of letting him go.

In terms of the way Eric and Kacie treated her, they were very cooperative. Eric felt pretty bad, and Kacie just wanted her husband to be happy and do anything she could to help him with that. They were very appreciative of her... which she appreciated.

Once the morning came around, Serena got up early and quickly threw some clothes on. She was going to go watch the Spring training game first, meet up with Kacie, then hopefully go to dinner with MacK, which is what they sort of discussed the night before.

Since MacK pitched yesterday, she wasn't expecting to see him pitch today, but she would've been able to watch CJ for a few innings before going to meet up with Kacie.

CJ ended up driving the three of them there. CJ really liked to drive because he liked picking the playlist. Currently, he couldn't stop playing "white girl music" which consisted of "Call Me Maybe", "Blank Space", and "Shake it Off".

Conversations were limited in the car. Sometimes when the beat dropped in the songs they'd all start singing. They'd laugh for a few moments. Then it'd go back to silence.

As expected, MacK was resting today, so he'd just go onto the back field and throw a quick bullpen session then hopefully come back out and sit with S while they watched CJ.

The three went their separate directions once they reached the ballpark. Serena took her seat in CJ's family section.

The game went quickly. The first few innings were pretty competitive, but ultimately the nationals took a pretty comfortable lead – which was 8-2 – top of the fourth.

Serena even got to see CJ bat in a run. He hit a ground ball to short and couldn't beat it out, but he got a run in which was what mattered.

Even while the girl sat and watched the game she couldn't stop thinking about MacK. He'd told her he'd come sit with her once he was done throwing, and she hadn't heard anything from him for an hour.

She understood bullpen sessions could be lengthy, but something deep in her gut told her he just didn't want to come out. Serena had tried to break the tension between them but everytime she felt it was gone it came back. Causing her anxiety to be off the walls for the past day and a half.

The good thing was that CJ got pulled around the 7th inning, so she was able to leave and meet up with Kacie without having to wait around for MacK. She didn't text him anything when she left though.

Kacie insisted on coming to pick Serena up because of how close the ballpark was to her house, which made the whole thing easier on Sasha because she didn't know where she was going and hated Ubers.

As soon as Serena saw Kacie's new "Mom-Escalade" pull up into the backlot, she couldn't contain her smile while walking quickly toward it. The thought of MacK left her brain as Kacie smiled back and rolled down the backseat window for Jack, Kacie's baby to be seen.

The girl waved hello to the baby before climbing into the front seat. Kacie grinned bright and warm, unbuckling her seatbelt to give her a hug.

"Missed ya," Kacie smiled.

republished 6/21/23