we were happy

❝ 𝑾𝑬 𝑾𝑬𝑹𝑬 𝑯𝑨𝑷𝑷𝒀 ❞

we used to walk along these streetswhen the porch lights were shining bright

when the porch lights were shining bright.

┊ ➶ 。˚ °

"i'm cold."

"..."

"i'm cold."

"..."

"hace frio!" julio snapped, popping fernando in the side of the head. the padre thought it would be hilarious to tell the mariner that san diego was in a heat wave. it was in fact not in a heat wave. it was in fact on the verge of flash flooding due to a hurricane.

"stop being a baby," fernando shot back humorously.

"is this safe? are we even allowed to be walking around right now?" julio exclaimed loudly, extending his arm outward to the beach less than twenty feet away.

"you were the one who wanted to go to clayton's!" the older boy exclaimed.

"not if i'm gonna get swept away into a f%#king hurricane!" he screeched, pulling his hood over his head as the wind picked up and it began to drizzle.

although this type of interaction between fernando and julio was never irregular, for anyone who'd been around fernando these past few months it would've been. he hadn't been in a happy or playful mood in ages.

in the short month or so that fernando had been on hiatus, he'd made up with the team - well, most of the team... and accepted some things.

he'd learned that he could accept things without actually getting over them. it wasn't wrong to worry or feel bad, as long as you were at peace with it. it sounded stupid. but he had his ways.

through the gusts and fog, fernando finally spotted the familiar coffee shop. it was the best on coronado island. he preferred the coastal town over downtown. downtown made him glum.

raindrops pattered seamlessly off his grey nike tech as he pulled the door open for julio.

"after you, princess," fernando remarked comically. julio was extremely unamused and gave him the fattest side-eye ever.

despite the rising ruckus and commotion outside, clayton's coffee house was quieter and more peaceful than ever. laufey was playing ambiently in the background for the minimal amount people within the four walls. it made it feel even warmer and cozier than it already was.

fernando unconsciously noticed julio staring at a girl with dark brown hair in the corner. she was wearing a familiar pair of black burberry frames that shaded her unviewable eyes, of which were dug into a book on cognitive therapy.

julio stepped back for a moment, motioning for fernando to order before him.

he thought nothing of it, quietly greeting the cashier before putting in for a straight black coffee. julio was nothing short of a flirt and womanizer, he wouldn't be surprised if he found his next target.